Atm Fees

Wow you extracted $1000 USD in local currency, in one attempt, say around $13,000 pesos, can you mention the bank and or system.... Banelco, Lynk, other

No No..This was not in Argentina or South America. But i did manage 1000 usd in one withdrawal albeit at a penalty of 45 usd.

No No..This was not in Argentina or South America. But i did manage 1000 usd in one withdrawal albeit at a penalty of 45 usd.

Of course, no ATM hole is big enough for that amount of paper. You never saw in the line, that people were extracting 10x3000p,because more in one attempt is impossible? Hopefully this will be over with new bills!

Of course, no ATM hole is big enough for that amount of paper. You never saw in the line, that people were extracting 10x3000p,because more in one attempt is impossible? Hopefully this will be over with new bills!
With my Argentinian debit card I usually get up to 4000 pesos per transaction. I also remember an article where they said that the ATM's here cannot dispense more that 40 bills per transaction (which would match my experience with the 4000 pesos). Things should get better once the 200, 500 and 1000 peso bills are out. With my US debit card (Schwab) I only managed to get up to 2000 pesos per transaction, though. With a card from Europe up to 2500.

rd2d, I think that if you have Schwab in the US, the EU German debit card is not that convenient: you have to exchange from US to EU, then from EU to AR, and possibly pay also to charge the card from your US-based account.

So here is the big question. How to I get funds from my US checking account onto that checking account in Germany that is linked to that card. Obviously the idea is transferring it with no fees or little fees.
So I figured out a cheap way to get money from the US checking account to that DKB card using Transferwise. The exchange rate with Transferwise was about the same as the interbank exchange rate - so pretty good. Transferred the amount of dollars worth 10000 pesos to the DKB account (approx. 700 dollars). Transfer fee was around 7 dollars. No fee for withdrawing with the DKB card (total 4 withdrawals of 2500 pesos each, two per day). So in total 7 dollars to get 10000 pesos out of the ATM. Not bad.

So here is the big question. How to I get funds from my US checking account onto that checking account in Germany that is linked to that card. Obviously the idea is transferring it with no fees or little fees.

Use transfer wise to transfer from USD in US to Euro in Germany.

Do not have enough good words to say about Transferwise. It simply rocks.

Regarding the German bank's card eligibility, I wouldn't be able to get one (to use in BA eg) as an UK citizen who's a full-time resident of France because:
My country of citizenship (the UK) doesn't issue ID cards to its citizens as France, Italy, Germany etc do;
I'm not a French citizen; and
No cards proving residency in an EU country are issued to a citizen of another EU country who moved to it by exercising his EU right of free movement to do so. EU law forbids EU countries from requiring that such a card be required. (Many years ago, France was still requiring such a card but it was disciplined in 2010 by the EU for maintaining a 'residency proof card' requirement of such people as me. French bureaucracy would not issue me one thereafter when I moved here because just by entering France with my intention to reside here as an EU citizen, I automatically became a French resident.)

Since I have neither a French (citizen's) ID card and there's no such thing as proving my French residency, I cannot satisfy Germany's 'Postident' system of proof being used by the bank in question.

I've not bothered to look at the bank's list of eligible countries.to see if France is included. Even if it were, I simply can't satisfy 'Postident'.

Regarding the German bank's card eligibility, I wouldn't be able to get one (to use in BA eg) as an UK citizen who's a full-time resident of France because:
My country of citizenship (the UK) doesn't issue ID cards to its citizens as France, Italy, Germany etc do;
I'm not a French citizen; and
No cards proving residency in an EU country are issued to a citizen of another EU country who moved to it by exercising his EU right of free movement to do so. EU law forbids EU countries from requiring that such a card be required. (Many years ago, France was still requiring such a card but it was disciplined in 2010 by the EU for maintaining a 'residency proof card' requirement of such people as me. French bureaucracy would not issue me one thereafter when I moved here because just by entering France with my intention to reside here as an EU citizen, I automatically became a French resident.)

Since I have neither a French (citizen's) ID card and there's no such thing as proving my French residency, I cannot satisfy Germany's 'Postident' system of proof being used by the bank in question.

I've not bothered to look at the bank's list of eligible countries.to see if France is included. Even if it were, I simply can't satisfy 'Postident'.

Back