Atm Fees

I've looked at the link provided by 'r2d2’ above re DBK, a bank registered in Bavaria where its HQ is.

There’s no way that bank managers in the 3 countries outside Germany I’ve legally resided in (the UK, Canada and France) would or could sign the attestation that DKB bank is requiring in order for a person to obtain a DBK account with Visa card. They lack authority in their individual countries to sign that or their countries don’t issue ID cards or if they do those are only for citizens of the country where those banks operate. And/or no such document as a ‘proof of residency’ exists for a bank or lawyer to read and certify that they’ve seen. Or they can only test if a person is resident in their country (by using an independent government-sponsored agency paid for by taxpayers) for their own bank’s specific purpose, not for the purpose of a competing foreign bank.

Here is what the English version of what DBK wants a person’s bank manager or lawyer to sign at:

http://dok.dkb.de/pdf/ident_ausl.pdf

“The person to be identified has personally presented his/ her passport/ ID card specified above and the registration of residence
to me/ us. I/ we have identified the person based on his/ her passport/ ID card. The person to be identified personally signed the document before me/ us. I/ we hereby confirm that the above personal data are identical to the data on the passport/ ID card.”

Also, DKB says a notary public can’t be used which would be an odd limitation in France. A Swiss bank has already refused to sign that DBK attestation for a Swiss resident and bank account holder. (She said so.) I can’t see a lawyer not certified to practise in Germany signing this because he isn’t qualified to advise on German law connected with German residency proof. ‘Postident’ is a German system that can only state authoritatively whether somebody is a German resident or not. DBK is using its attestation I quoted above to mimic that for non-German residents and foreign bank account holders to get a DBK account. But I know that French banks aren’t going to use its own costly ‘residency checking system’ via a public body paid for by French taxpayers to check if somebody is a French resident for the purpose of one getting a competing non-French online bank’s account!

A passport doesn't prove one's residency status. People move house during the life of a passport. .

That DBK attestation sounds fine if one is a German citizen who for example maintains his primary residence in Germany and lives only part of the year in some other country. In general, normally, banks everywhere require you to be a resident of the country they’re in before they’ll open a fully functioning bank account with atm and associated credit cards for you. It’s very European in nature to require that a potential new customer can read a bank account in the bank’s country’s own official language. Otherwise, it’s not a valid contract, just as happens in matters in Arg. (I had to prove to a bank manager that I could understand every term on 40 pages of a bank account contract and then I had to state in writing on every single page that I did. So I can understand the German requirement that one speaks and comprehends German to get a DBK account.)

DBK states on its own website 2 other pertinent requirements - that to obtain an online account with it requires one to be German-speaking (not German-googling) AND that these accounts are intended for Germans who need to ‘protect’ (ahem) their money in Germany while they live abroad. They have ID cards that show their citizenship and their German addresses and local connections to their town or city. (In France, residency is often proved by producing your electricity bills over a long period. That’s how I’m able to buy annual public transit passes and enjoy free entrance to municipal museums. My card for museums isn’t proof of residency for a French bank, however. I need new residency proof for each thing I do here requiring a residency status. That needs bill payment receipts, property ownership title or production of a 3-year unfurnished residential lease.)

https://www.deutscheskonto.org/fr/dkb/

------
I’m unhappy that I have to wait to spend 3 months in Arg until ‘H2’ when it’s rumoured that Arg might start printing larger denominations of peso bills so that visitors can access the pesos they need from Arg’s atm’s. By not looking after this matter of filling atms right away and how to, Macri has caused visitors to learn in the worst possible way that they still need to use unofficial Arg sources although the blue exchange market is supposed to be defunct! Or otherwise limit themselves to buying goods and services only from Arg businesses and restos that take foreign credit cards which I find too limiting in the kinds of businesses I like to use there. Or to still carry cash huge amounts of foreign cash which I can’t do for a 3-month stay in BA.

While tourism isn’t of significant importance to Arg and Macri’s government has more pressing tasks, I think he should have at least informed the public 2 months ago that we’d have to still exchange foreign cash with UNOFFICIAL sources in Arg for the pesos foreign visitors need. Surely, Arg could post somewhere online daily what yesterday’s maximum peso withdrawal limit at Banco de la Nacion and at Arg atms each were? That would allow me to know what level of holiday I can have in Arg. I also abhor the unevenness of some foreigners having to pay 89 pesos in Arg bank fees to obtain 3000 pesos while others have to spend 89 pesos three times to get 3,000! Why can’t Macri eradicate right away that unfairness among visitors who bring in money?

Have you tried the city bank ATMs, the ones not operated by banelco?

I don't have any account with local or US Citibank. My debit cards are from other US banks and I am only able to withdraw pesos from Citibank ATM's here, not Banelco - (I used Banelco in the past though, but it has been impossible to do it during the last 3 years). I have tried Banelco from other banks and I always get the same sign stating that their machines cannot be used with my debit cards. The banks in the US can't tell me why this is happening. I am wondering what ATMs I'll be able to use once Citibank ends their retail banking in Argentina. Your comments will be very welcome - I don't want to start going to Uruguay...!!! Thanks!!.

People whose home bank accounts are in Canada, the UK, and Europe have been reporting the same thing. It is not their home banks that are restricting their withdrawals and telling them they can get no money at banks in Arg. They check. One Canadian couple spent NOTHING. Expensive airfares and holiday rentals and then scrambling for food like paupers. Not a tiny souvenir of Arg to bring home. Especially bad when you've saved for the one holiday a year you get.

I don't have any account with local or US Citibank. My debit cards are from other US banks and I am only able to withdraw pesos from Citibank ATM's here, not Banelco - (I used Banelco in the past though, but it has been impossible to do it during the last 3 years). I have tried Banelco from other banks and I always get the same sign stating that their machines cannot be used with my debit cards. The banks in the US can't tell me why this is happening. I am wondering what ATMs I'll be able to use once Citibank ends their retail banking in Argentina. Your comments will be very welcome - I don't want to start going to Uruguay...!!! Thanks!!.

Some ATM machines can not handle newer cards with chips , here and in Colonia as well

Regarding the German bank's card eligibility, I wouldn't be able to get one (to use in BA eg) as an UK citizen who's a full-time resident of France because:
My country of citizenship (the UK) doesn't issue ID cards to its citizens as France, Italy, Germany etc do;
I'm not a French citizen; and
No cards proving residency in an EU country are issued to a citizen of another EU country who moved to it by exercising his EU right of free movement to do so. EU law forbids EU countries from requiring that such a card be required. (Many years ago, France was still requiring such a card but it was disciplined in 2010 by the EU for maintaining a 'residency proof card' requirement of such people as me. French bureaucracy would not issue me one thereafter when I moved here because just by entering France with my intention to reside here as an EU citizen, I automatically became a French resident.)

Since I have neither a French (citizen's) ID card and there's no such thing as proving my French residency, I cannot satisfy Germany's 'Postident' system of proof being used by the bank in question.

I've not bothered to look at the bank's list of eligible countries.to see if France is included. Even if it were, I simply can't satisfy 'Postident'.

You can use both passport and id card. The Postident only works while your are in Germany, though. You have to go to a post office there to get the postident filled out, stamped and mailed directly to the bank. Outside Germany the bank seems to have some kind of identifaciton form that needs to be notarized. I got my account while working for a startup in Berlin - so I have no experience with getting the card/account while not physically in Germany.

Some ATM machines can not handle newer cards with chips , here and in Colonia as well
I have had the same experience so far. My cards with a chip gets rejected by ATM's without chip reader.

I have had the same experience so far. My cards with a chip gets rejected by ATM's without chip reader.

My US debit cards without chips are not being accepted by Banelco, same story.

My US debit cards without chips are not being accepted by Banelco, same story.
Strange my Schwab card without chip works fine almost everywhere (except on weekends when the ATM's are low on cash and seem to prioritize their own clients).

Strange my Schwab card without chip works fine almost everywhere (except on weekends when the ATM's are low on cash and seem to prioritize their own clients).

I do not have Schwab cards, I work with other US banks. Thank you.

Just tried it again, my 2 Dutch debit cards and even one Dutch Credit Card (Mastercard, though in NL these are deducted automatically at the end of the month, so. they are more like a delayed-debit card) all did not work in several Banelcos.
They only worked in Banco de Nacion, where the limit was 1000 pesos, with a charge of 83,40 pesos (!) in addition of the 2 euro or so my Dutch bank will charge.
So that was a one-time experiment for now.

The good news is that I just made a debit payment in a shop, against the official (good) Euro rate, without any local costs and only 0,15 Euro bank costs, so it seems that is the way to go now.

Back