ATM HSBC Issuing fake 100 peso notes

In 6 years here I have never recieved a fake bill from a Bank and neither has anyone I know . Bradleyhale and Kurt I stand corrected if this happened to you both .

In 99percent of cases the culprits of fake banknotes are taxidrivers and business merchants . The bill swap trick is very common in Argentina to the unsuspecting

It does happen. I have gotten one fake 100 peso bill and two ripped, unusable bills from ATMs here. I taped one of the ripped bills up to fix it but for the other ripped one, I had to go to Banco Central and they changed it for a good one. I noticed the fake one way to late to do anything about it and put it on the fridge as decoration. It was later stolen when we had a party. Ha...

It never happened to me luckily but it did happen to this couple I know, no cabs involved, they took money out and realized they were fake right away, not 1 but 6 fake 100p bills.

I did get ripped bills a couple of times, one of the corners of these bills was missing, including 1 or 2 digits of the s/n so no one would take these bills except the woman at my bank who knows me and helped me out.

i've never personally had any fake bills from cash machines but a few friends of mine have had some from banco galacia on av de mayo.

Apparently its so common that the hostels around there actually warn their guests not to use that branch as it happens so often.

Perry,
It hasn't happened to me yet, and i've made hundreds of withdrawals over the last 10 years, so I think its very rare. I have run into fake bills down here in other situations, including fake US $100 from the manager of a temp apartment we rented many years ago:/

As imposible as it sounds, a year or so ago another bank was found issuing fake bills through the ATM. It was a teller who made the switch, not "the bank" itself, who was responsible. All you can do is tell the bank, maybe even the police. If several people have this experience then it gets investigated. If not, you can shrug your shoulders and get money from a different ATM. And, Ouch! I know it hurts.

Back