ATM robbed me of 200 pesos

El Duderino

Registered
I took out 2000 pesos today at the HSBC near Plaza Guemes, in 2 transactions of 1000. I never count the money at the ATM because there's usually people waiting or standing by and I don't like to show that I have large sums of cash.

Get back to my house and set it aside. 2 hours later, I need to use some of it and then I decide to count it. THERE'S ONLY 1800!

I'm pretty OCD with numbers and money, so I don't think I made a mistake.

I have the receipts, which both say the transaction was for 1000. Is there anything I can do? Not sure if a Gringo with marginal Spanish skills has any chance to argue at the bank.

:(

first thing you can do is count your money at the ATM not two hours later at your house. If you count it on the spot and the output was short you are supposed to call the police on the spot. They send an officer who documents the incident and then you are supposed to be able to get your missing money directly from the bank. I've seen this happen before and that is what the people at the bank told the customer to do. I even think they have signs in the bank stating as much.

Not sure if you can still do something now. But you can always go to the bank and ask although I think too much time has passed. More than anything this should serve you as a lesson, always count your bills before during and right after a transaction. Good luck.

if the machine shorted you... it should show up in the log...that it has 200pesos that were no dispensed. That of course does not mean that who ever fills up the machine won't pocket it.

You can also dispute it with your card issuer and they'll request an investigation.

Don't hold out much hope, but I did it once for an ATM in a foreign country where I asked for around $400 and got $200, and they actually reimbursed it, so it's worth a shot.

They'll reimburse you, for sure. Go to the bank or call banelco and they'll tell you what to do. I know several people who had this happened. The ATM shows.

Two hours after the fact, there is not much that you can do...Even if it were to show up in the bank's logs there is not much likelihood that they will admit the mistake and give you the money.

had a similar thing happen. the bank here was evasive, childish, rude, flippant and about 50 other things. Told them I would just get the money back from my own bank and that's what I did, in less than 24 hours.

Back