ATM withdrawals/fees, again

Wish I would have known about Charles and Schwabb.I opened a Citi account just prior to moving down and closed it on my first trip home. What a shitty bank.I kept my long historic account with Bank of America who charges some pretty stupid fees, but I've never had a problem withdrawing at least 600 pesos per transaction and the equivalent to US$1k per day. C&S seems to be the best route.

As far as getting Visa and Mastercard Argentina to reverse their policy of charging 5% every time you use the ATM (for your protection).... I don't want to stop people from contacting them to reverse this dangerous policy (dangerous in the fact that if you are withdrawing your rent money, 1000$ in 10 consecutive transaction, very obvious to any would be thief that you are withdrawing a lot of money), but at 5$ per transaction and at least 50 000 expats/foreigners in Argentina at any given time (guestimate)... that would be 250 000$ per day reason for them not to listen to your complaints!!!On the other hand.... the 2nd someone gets robbed and killed for withdrawing money under this policy...and the family sues them for 50 million.. they might have a change of heart... isn't capitalism and the legal system wonderful :)

Anybody can make there own risk-analyse and adjust the limit of the CC.
I pay about 2,5 euro everytime I withdraw money with my CC and have withdrawn various times close to my limit which is far over 5000 peso

CABJ - interested to hear how you manged to open an account without a DNI? B/C it is a requirement. And if you're comfortable flying in with 9999 in cash on you - enjoy. But I think all of us would agree that anyone doing that is tempting fate.
I had the problem with withdrawal limits when I used a non-Citi machine. If I was in a Citi branch, I could take out much more. However, I did get charged a non-citi atm fee (even a the Citi branches b/c techinically it is Citi SA, not Citi NA) I was not a happy person.

"citygirl" said:
CABJ - interested to hear how you manged to open an account without a DNI? B/C it is a requirement. And if you're comfortable flying in with 9999 in cash on you - enjoy. But I think all of us would agree that anyone doing that is tempting fate.
I am not interested in a bank account in Argentina and they can´t see that you carry money.

So when you said that you could open a bank account without a DNI, what were you talking about?
And yes, you may very well get lucky in carrying 9999 in cash in & having no problems. Personally, I'm not that trusting in luck.

I've got a CUIL but not a DNI, still waiting for that to come through. My company were pretty sure that there are some banks here that will let you open an account with just a passport. Not sure, will give it a go. If I have any luck I'll post up here.If you get a bank account here you can get a local argentine credit card, and depending on which one you choose you can get pretty considerable discounts in shops and supermarkets all over the city, plus you can break and spread payments interest free over several months. Which is nice.

Interesting. I was originally told I could open one with just a passport but then couldn't find any banks that actually would do that. *shrug*
Right now I wouldn't keep my money in an Argentine bank as I'm not particularly trusting of the economic situation there but if you do find one that will let you open one, let me know. It would be nice just to transfer some spending money to it.
And I guess it's time for me to start the DNI process when I get back...

Back