Atm's In Ba, For An Irishman

Avoid endless hassles and aggravations: go to Uruguay once a month, withdraw dollars from the ATM machine, bring them to argentina, sell them on the "unnoficial" market or argentine friends or "conocidos".

FWIW, in addition to the points ElQueso made, I went to Uruguay on a Saturday and couldn't get USD from any of the ATMs. Seems like it is a regular occurrence there (that they run out).

There was a ARS 1k limit per transaction on ATM withdrawals. Actually, I think it may have been USD100, converted at the official rate (which now would be around ARS 500). I think this limit still applies, so be prepared for it.

That's quite some time since I withdrew cash from an argentine ATM. Still, the following info should still be valid:

The limit is rather in pesos (indeed 1000 pesos), but if you go to a Citibank (this was extensively discussed about 18/24 months ago), there's an ATM different from others, with no logos (no Banelco or Link), and you can take out 4000 pesos in one withdrawal.
Anyway it's useless to withdraw money here.

@All the answers: Bringing as much of cash with you... Why not.

But, for someone who doesn't know the local idiosyncrasy, is it really recommended to come with 3000 Euros in cash (or even more). Where to hide it?! Take the money with you every day?!

That's where this doesn't compute.

Take just what you need to live for one month but CONVERT YOUR EUROS TO DOLLARS before you come (better rate considering the spread).

If you want to use ATM´s, Colonia, Uruguay is the best bet.
A Colonia Express boat will get you there in 1:15 hours. Cost about 400 to 600 pesos round trip.
In Colonia you can get 900 USD max per card per day. You have to do three extractions of 300 USD each (new goverment regulation). If you bring two Irish cards and stay overnight in a cheap hostel (about 120 pesos a night) you could get 3,600 USD and then come back the next day. That is what I do once a month, no hassles.

Is there such a wonderful service from the USA to help us multiply our money too or is CASH our only vehicle of Exchange.. As one looks at the other services eg. Western Union perhaps the worse in terms of exchange terms; then Xoom.. it seems Azimo really does well by your people there. Our best deal is to bring the Almighty Dollar along in our deep pockets. Azimo seems like a safer approach without a ceiling too.

People seem unaware that you can also do Xoom/Exchange4free/Azimo in uruguay. It won't get you a magic rate but it will get you 1,2,3,4, or 5k at once without ATM hassle and without multiple fees. Not to mention the daily limits.

If you want to know Colonia or Carmelo, getting dollars in UY is fine. The next visits really don't make any sense unless you enjoy boats and river crossings..

Whatever the blue rate on florida or lavalle is, I always get only 450 pesos less though https://exchange4free.com.
This is the same or even less comparing to the ticket price to UY. You choose.

EDIT
Stupid me, haha. Of course, it depends on the amount,
I normally send small amounts, if you send 3000 usd, the difference will be several thousand pesos. ignore my comment....

If you bring your card to use in the ATM´s here don´t forget to bring a nice soft cushion as well. You will need something to ease the pain of sitting down after using it.

Back