Atms Up Again?

UPDATE: ATM withdrawal at Banco Ciudad (LINK)....maximum allowed per withdrawal has increased to $3500 pesos, foreign fee charged per transaction was $121.20 pesos, maximum allowed is 3 transactions per day.

I recently came to know that BANELCO starts its 'day' at around 4:15pm to 4:30pm. This information was very useful when I needed to withdraw more cash than my daily limit (local card) on a weekend.

I have doubts, but probably the limit now for foreign cards at BANELCO network of ATMs is 3000 pesos per withdrawal and 2 withdrawals per day. So if you need, you can try to withdraw 6000 pesos before 4pm and another 6000 pesos after 4:30pm or later. That will be 4 withdrawals in total.

Of course, on the next day you won't be able to withdraw again before 4:30pm.

UPDATE: ATM withdrawal at Banco Ciudad (LINK)....maximum allowed per withdrawal has increased to $3500 pesos, foreign fee charged per transaction was $121.20 pesos, maximum allowed is 3 transactions per day.

That's good "inside" information since I use Banelco. I needed cash on Saturday (when I couldn't do a XOOM transfer). I withdrew 2300 (what I thought was the limit) and paid a service fee of 205 pesos. When I figured the rate based on the posting to my account, it was only 18.42

Here is an update. I was able to withdraw 4000 pesos in a single withdrawal from a BANELCO ATM using a local card. Because you are getting pesos, it should not be different for a foreign card. Finding which ATMs have the highest limit could be tricky but as I have mentioned before you may have a better luck at machines on bank premises.

ATMs of different banks (although in the same BANELCO network) may have different restrictions. If you are not getting more than 3000 pesos in X bank's ATM, you can try Y bank.

I am in Cordoba. Here LINK ATMs have the maximum limit of 4000 pesos too. Hard to believe Buenos Aires may have a lower limit.

Last edited:
I recently came to know that BANELCO starts its 'day' at around 4:15pm to 4:30pm. This information was very useful when I needed to withdraw more cash than my daily limit (local card) on a weekend.

I have doubts, but probably the limit now for foreign cards at BANELCO network of ATMs is 3000 pesos per withdrawal and 2 withdrawals per day. So if you need, you can try to withdraw 6000 pesos before 4pm and another 6000 pesos after 4:30pm or later. That will be 4 withdrawals in total.

Of course, on the next day you won't be able to withdraw again before 4:30pm.

HSBC charged 314 pesos for 2000 withdrawal today. Max is 3000 pesos, but allowed twice in one day.

Banco Frances just charged me 380 pesos to take out 2500. Are the other banks cheaper on their change fees?

Banco Ciudad 180-190 pesos per 3500 peso withdrawal

This proves the huge difference between using Banco de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires, basically a local bank with branches in the Provincia de BsAs, Cordoba, and Mendoza, and the international banks Banco Frances, HSBC, and Santander Rio.

I did some research since I'm considering opening a local bank account after 20 years in BsAs. A savings account with debit card from Banco Ciudad has no service fees and many locations in the city.

Got 6000 pesos for 401 peso fee just now. The peso is at 38-40 per USD.

I did some research since I'm considering opening a local bank account after 20 years in BsAs. A savings account with debit card from Banco Ciudad has no service fees and many locations in the city.

I opened an account on Friday at the nearest Banco Ciudad. There are no service fees. I will have a debit card in ten days, and there is no fee for withdrawals. I can pay bills online through home banking or set up automatic debit. I will transfer dollars from my US account directly to this one. I didn't even have to give them pesos to open the account. The paperwork is done. Having a local account will make things easier. I have to provide three statements from my account showing the social security deposits, presumably so they know the source of the dollar transfers. This bank is used by seniors who receive monthly payments from ANSES.

If anyone is considering an account with Banco Ciudad, I recommend reading the terms and conditions online. They are four pages in fine print that you are asked to sign when opening the account without being given the opportunity to READ them. I worked for lawyers for many years, and know you don't sign anything without reading what you are signing first. There is also an application online to read and complete. I did that at the bank. My account is AHORRO con DNI among the long list they offer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Expat Life 8
K Expat Life 4
U Expat Life 6
ghost Expat Life 4
ghost Expat Life 12
Back