Attempted Break-In In My Building

Despites my 5 dogs (+ the 3 right outside my house), I'm also going to get a shotgun.
16" barrel with buck shot?. There is a special sound when you cock a shotgun that has away of saying "get out of here, fast"

If you are going to buy a gun for home defense please buy a shotgun. Easiest to use in the dark when your adrenaline is running and you won't shoot through walls.

If you don't like guns get a big, loud dog. Your reward will be 10-15 years of unconditional love and affection.

If you don't like dogs make sure you have a good door with strong locks.

Even with all of the above start complaining to the portero, neighbors, and admin about people being let in without a key.

And if you don't like guns or big dogs, get some firecrackers.

I have them to scare off anyone coming near my house at night and would throw one out of a bathroom window if it is ever necessary.

In four years I've only used a couple of them to scare a huge sow back to my neighbor's property (in the daytime).

Shortly after that my neighbor came to my house to ask if I was the one shooting at his pig.

I also know how to say (yell) from my house that I have a gun and I'm a good shot. :rolleyes:

Yop so many neighbours in the world get hit with a lost bullet... Shotgun is the way to go.

Last weapon I used was a Famas (and explosives... got tinnitus since the past 20 years and lost audition in the high frequencies :( )

FAMAS_assault_rifle_fusil_assault_French_France_Army_016.jpg

Is a break in at night worse than a break in during the day?

Sure, while you sleep you are defenceless. If it happends during night, no questions ask. During day there are 3 rules for legal self defence: a) lack of enough provocation B ) illegal aggresion c) proportional use of forcé (art. 34 criminal code).
If there is abuse in the defence, it is considered a reckless crime (imprudente) with a lower penalty (art. 35) (6 months up to 5 years while murder is 8 up to 25 years)

Electric fences should be installed by an electrician and keep the invoice.

Despites my 5 dogs (+ the 3 right outside my house), I'm also going to get a shotgun.
I've heard of dogs being poisoned before an attack. If you go this route the dogs would have to be trained not to take food from anyone/anywhere but the master.
I think that any good security should be several layers of security starting with something as simple as a security system sticker. Then increment the layers as needed (metal gates, infrared, motion, animal, etc). No one method will be 100% effective but if the attacker has to face many, obvious layers then it may not be worth his effort.
Thieves are looking to get in and out without risk of getting caught, or they are looking to get leverage by way of hostages. The point is the earliest possible warning of intrusion is your best defense. Gives you time to react. If your asleep, passed out, or away from your gun, then it will not help you much once the attacker is already inside.

I've heard of dogs being poisoned before an attack. If you go this route the dogs would have to be trained not to take food from anyone/anywhere but the master.
I think that any good security should be several layers of security starting with something as simple as a security system sticker. Then increment the layers as needed (metal gates, infrared, motion, animal, etc). No one method will be 100% effective but if the attacker has to face many, obvious layers then it may not be worth his effort.
Thieves are looking to get and out without risk of getting caught, or they are looking to get leverage by way of hostages. the point is the earliest possible warning of intrusion is you best defense. Gives you time to react. If your asleep, passed out, or away from your gun, then it will not help you much once the attacker already inside.

There's even worst to kill a dog from the outside of an apartment (used in France at times): call the dog near the bottom of the entrance door, he'll sniff, use a cutter to cut the tip of his nose = bleeds to death or is so injured that the dog becomes useless.

I feed three dogs outside of my house as well & I know the different types of barking (dog owners all understand that). They work more as an early detection of something strange going on.

I'm also looking to install a system with an outdoor dome & a camera that will focus on anyone walking by, with real time streaming + an UPS in case the electricity is cut.

Best thing is to keep a low profile anyway (I know drive a 1999 Palio)

Also important to anticipate the possibility an intruder manages to take control of the situation (hence a first place to hide some money, and also a second place you'll reveal in order for them to get out... While in the third place you keep the most cash).

Best place to hide money: under beehives (60.000 angry bees would defeat even Chuck Norris :p ), but well you need beehives & a garden

Back