Attempted Break-In In My Building

Do they really need a key to get into the building? I have noticed a lot of people coming and going in my building let others in and out as a matter of course. No one really seems to pay attention if they actually live it or not.
When friends come over to visit they are generally in before I can get downstairs to let them in!

Yeah, and people go by looks, which is dumb. But where I live now, most of the residents are elderly and extremely paranoid. Like, sometimes they will stick their heads out the door to see who you brought in with you. I'm a bit paranoid myself. I was coming in one day and a guy came up behind me to follow me in. I jumped 10 feet in the air and then made him show me his key. He seemed surprised by this, which frankly surprised me. Sorry dude, I'm not going to let a rando in the building behind me, a lone female, without making sure you live here! It's a small building though, so I very rarely come or go at the same time as another person.

I favour electrified fencing. There are rules and responsibilities with this type of security system ( positioning of and signage ). The weak point would still be the front door, but I'd sleep better at night with the a complete perimeter around my terraza.
If a thief gets hurt/dies as a result of a 8000v jolt, then the police shouldn't have a case if the fence is properly and legally installed, and with warning signs.

Yeah, I'm a big fan. I slept like a baby when I lived in a building with an electric fence, cameras and rotating security guards. Didn't like having to live that way, but at least I could relax inside my own home. I prefer living in the type of building I do now, but I wouldn't say I'm relaxed here anymore, not after this. I'm alone a lot because my husband travels for work and so I'm really missing that electric fence right about now. The grass is always greener. Or maybe in this case, just slightly less dead.

Scary situation... at least they didn't get in. It's just another reminder that one has to be careful and not skimp on security. However there's no guarantees.

We have a shotgun and a handgun. That along with the barbed wire over the fence, the dogs, the bars over the windows, the security cameras, the spot lights, and our locks & crossbar over the door makes me feel pretty safe. :D

Scary situation... at least they didn't get in. It's just another reminder that one has to be careful and not skimp on security. However there's no guarantees.

We have a shotgun and a handgun. That along with the barbed wire over the fence, the dogs, the bars over the windows, the security cameras, the spot lights, and our locks & crossbar over the door makes me feel pretty safe. :D
Great... layers. That's the way. The only thing I would worry about is locking myself into a fire trap. Bars on the window keep attackers out but also traps you in. Escape route? Best line of defense is like Mr. Miyagi said: Remember, best block, no be there.

If an armed and dangerous thieve breaks in and tried to harm you, is it best when needed to shoot to kill or just wounding the perpetrator.? I heard that the judicial system there are very lenient with criminals and they are instantly pardoned and freed.?
If that happens, won't the assailant perhaps coming back to haunt you by means of revenge for what you made him go through?

If an armed and dangerous thieve breaks in and tried to harm you, is it best when needed to shoot to kill or just wounding the perpetrator.? I heard that the judicial system there are very lenient with criminals and they are instantly pardoned and freed.?
If that happens, won't the assailant perhaps coming back to haunt you by means of revenge for what you made him go through?

If 13 years sound indulgent, just let me know. It was a plea bargaining, if he goes to trial he gets a worst sentence.

This is a famous case where they shoot each other badly. The victim had many guns hidden in different places of the house. The víctims got many shoots, thieves too, one of them died, the other got 13 years in jail.
The victim who killed a criminal was found innocent. Even i don't know the file, they open a case when you use self defence ammo because this is not allowed and they have to determinate if there was an excess in legal defence.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/m1/1601305-dictan-13-anos-de-prision-para-uno-de-los-asaltantes-que-sobrevivio-al-tiroteo-en-la-casa-de

I got a better look at the damage done to the door in the light of day today. It would seem the thief rammed some sort of blunt object against it multiple times in an attempt to force it open. There were slight dent marks and chipped paint surrounding the doorknob and up and down a bit on that same side. It's so brazen to stroll into a building a la tarde and start ramming a door like that. You would assume people would do that type of thing in the wee hours of the morning, but no, this person did it when anyone could have walked in coming home from work or whatever else. Or so we were told. When I came home earlier, the locksmith was back and the lady who lives there was there with him. I didn't ask them about what happened because I didn't want to get trapped in a 20-minute lecture on crime in Buenos Aires, but it appeared he was installing another lock closer to the floor.

:) Sounds like my house!

I don't know where to put this but the girl that works for us was held up at gunpoint last night in Plaza Italia at 21:00. She was walking and 3 teenager types came up and surrounded her. One pulled out a gun and held it against the back of her head and told her to give him everything she had. She said there were people around but she didn't want to scream in case they shot her. All she had was her cell (in her pocket) and she handed it to the guy with the gun. She said they immediately dispersed and were gone in a flash. She came to work today but obviously is really shaken up.

That's the stuff that terrifies me. It can just happen in a blink of an eye, even when you're being careful.

I got a better look at the damage done to the door in the light of day today. It would seem the thief rammed some sort of blunt object against it multiple times in an attempt to force it open. There were slight dent marks and chipped paint surrounding the doorknob and up and down a bit on that same side. It's so brazen to stroll into a building a la tarde and start ramming a door like that. You would assume people would do that type of thing in the wee hours of the morning, but no, this person did it when anyone could have walked in coming home from work or whatever else. Or so we were told. When I came home earlier, the locksmith was back and the lady who lives there was there with him. I didn't ask them about what happened because I didn't want to get trapped in a 20-minute lecture on crime in Buenos Aires, but it appeared he was installing another lock closer to the floor.
That's the problem with people these days. They show up banging on their pot and pans AFTER THE FACT; complaining about insecurity, but the do nothing day to day. Not very proactive. North American neighborhood-watch at least attempts to keep this under control because people are involved in their security instead of hiring a company to do it for you. Hiding under a rock doesn't help anyone either.

Back