Attempted Robbery on the subte

About the convention, an Argentina woman told me that. She said they actually have conventions, come in suits and ties. They're professionals. So don't let clothing fool you. Some of these guys dress up like businessmen, eat in restaurants and steal your computer from under your chair. One man I talked with met a friend in a restaurant, two men sat behind him in business attire and had brief cases. Now would you suspect them? He didn't. The place was pretty empty except for those two well-dressed men. He put his briefcase with his computer between his feet on the floor. When he got ready to leave and picked up his briefcase, it had been switched. You have to keep things in your lap. And yes, it is hard to stay perpetually alert. He said that, after the fact, he should have wondered why, with so far people in the place, these two guys sat right next to them. Usually people will opt for more space if it is available.

For newcomers, we learn here to keep important things in different locations. I have some rather creative locations, but as with investments, diversification counts. Keys one place, ID another place, serious money another place (I've been told leave some bills in your purse just in case you do get robbed). I carry my purse actually, almost as decoy. Also I only carry about as much money as I will need where I am going.

All that, and I still nearly got robbed by this sweet lady who appeared to be defending me against this rude, inconsiderate man trying to deprive me of a place to hold onto. And yes, the subway was packed.

@arlean-- the restaurant scam also happened in a restaurant where I worked in Montreal. The restaurant was downtown and was always really busy at lunchtime with the business crowd. Four men in suits and ties came in, we sat them at a table, and when it came time to take their order, they very politely said they had changed their mind, they didn't have enough time. Again, it was really crowded. When they left, they managed to take three purses and two wallets, and nobody noticed their things were gone until it was time to pay.

The moral of the story-- always keep your purse on your lap and your wallet in an inside pocket.

I was having lunch at a very popular restaurant in San Telmo one Saturday afternoon with a group of Porteno art dealers and lawyers when a perp tried to snatch a purse from a nearby table. My back was to the incident, but one of the men I was with saw the perp lift the purse from the back of the woman's chair. Another man at a nearby table saw it and yelled. I had no idea what was happening, but suddenly my (large) friend LUNGED OVER ME AND TACKLED THE FLEEING PERP.

He pinned him to the ground (standing over the perp with his foot on the perp's back) until the police arrived (almost 20 minutes later).

He didn't try to hurt the perp, but it was clear he was ready, willing, and able to do so...especially since he had been robbed at gunpoint in a San Telmo grocery store the previous week at 5 PM.

steveinbsas said:
I was having lunch at a very popular restaurant in San Telmo one Saturday afternoon with a group of Porteno art dealers and lawyers when a perp tried to snatch a purse from a nearby table. My back was to the incident, but one of the men I was with saw the perp lift the purse from the back of the woman's chair. Another man at a nearby table saw it and yelled. I had no idea what was happening, but suddenly my (large) friend LUNGED OVER ME AND TACKLED THE FLEEING PERP.

He pinned him to the ground (standing over the perp with his foot on the perp's back) until the police arrived (almost 20 minutes later).

He didn't try to hurt the perp, but it was clear he was ready, willing, and able to do so...especially since he had been robbed at gunpoint in a San Telmo grocery store the previous week at 5 PM.

It took 20 minutes for the policy to arrive... and in all likelihood another 20 minutes to release the guy so he could keep up with his good work...

I have lived in BA for a few years and tend to think myself rather alert. Some friends were visiting so I was taking them around the obligatory tourist sites. One has a bit of a caffeine addiction so she needed to get a quick coffee before we headed into San Telmo Sunday market.
Whilst she was waiting for a coffee (takeaway) I overheard a couple standing next to us talking in Portuguese. I showed off to my other friend to say "Oh, they are from Brazil"
This couple then came over to speak to us. The lady was uninterested but the guy started saying "I am from New York" which made me feel stupid until I see the lady opening up the backpack of my coffee waiting friend, who was stupid enough, even after me telling them several times, to wear her backpack on her back.
The Brazilian lady had her hand all the way in the bag and was in the process of taking out the wallet when I noticed. I yelled at her and she walked off to 'look at' souvenirs in Defensa. I was in a bit of shock as to how bold they had been. Also shocked at my lack of reaction. I would have preferred to have yelled and screamed and made a scene but I didn't as it all happened so fast.
It was early morning and I am sure this couple were warming up for a full day of pickpocketing in San Telmo market. So beware of Brazilians posing as tourists in the market!

I think I met the same sweet little lady and her guy friend on the Subte. They kinda cornered me. My radar went off and I put my hand down at my side and caught her hand half-way in my front pocket. I just started swinging hard. Don't think I connected with her but I really caught the guy to my right clean in the neck with my elbow. The subte was just pulling into Scalabrini Ortiz when this all started and they fled out the doors.

Sorry, the rules for not hitting a woman end for me when she's in the process of a crime - especially if it's on me or my family.

Of course all of the other passengers just looked at me and not a damn person offered their thanks! Go figure! :)

As you guys, I've seen a couple more of "robbery tactics" in the subte, for example:

- When the train stops and open it's doors a guys simulating a kind of mental illness with a "difficult" to walk comes inside and start looking inside simulating confusion and before the train closes it's doors he jumps out and suddenly someone's wallet "disappear"

- During the summer the windows of the train are open most of the time, the thief waits for the train to start moving and then from outside the train grabs the necklace or other things from the people who is inside.

My method to avoid pickpockets is to put my wallet and mobile inside one of my pockets and put my hand inside too and with the other hold the horizontal bar and I've never been robbed. But as you say too: It happens in any big city! not only here in BA. You just have to be aware always in places like the subte.

Lulu-Kyoko said:
@arlean-- the restaurant scam also happened in a restaurant where I worked in Montreal. The restaurant was downtown and was always really busy at lunchtime with the business crowd. Four men in suits and ties came in, we sat them at a table, and when it came time to take their order, they very politely said they had changed their mind, they didn't have enough time. Again, it was really crowded. When they left, they managed to take three purses and two wallets, and nobody noticed their things were gone until it was time to pay.

The moral of the story-- always keep your purse on your lap and your wallet in an inside pocket.

If you have to have a briefcase or computer bag with you, why not buy a motion detector that will sound the alarm of anyone tries to swipe it while it is between your legs as you eat? :p

I have thought up an idea for an electronic alarm. You wear a sensor on your body somewhere, perhaps put in on a belt, etc. A chip goes inside your wallet or attached to your cell phone. When the chip (with the wallet or phone) gets more than 2 meters from each other an alarm rings. So far, its a bit cumbersome in practicality but with some work I think it might be a viable option.

Back