Axel Kicillof - A Name You Want to Know

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
Axel Kicillof, a very bright Dr. of Economy from the University of Buenos Aires, a Marxist, student of Keynes' economic theory, and Economic Vice-Minister of Argentina definitely seems to have CFK's ear.

Yes, he has his detractors, but whether you agree with his perspective or not it's hard to deny the ground this young (40) man has taken. He was one of the principle architects of the law that expropriated YPF and continues to have serious influence over the direction of economic policy in Argentina.

"Cuando hay una crisis, lo peor que se puede hacer es pensar que el Estado es el problema. El Estado es la solución. Cuando hay recesión y crisis económica, el Estado se vuelve un actor clave para revitalizar la demanda y la inversión." Axel Kicillof

The simplified version is that he believes free markets don't always work to produce the greatest return on investment (in this case for Argentina) and therefore the state (government) needs to step in and make corrections.

Unsurprisingly, he played a key role in organizing many young Kirchneristas inside of the political group La Cámpora - created in honor of ex-president (Peronist) Héctor Cámpora.

He's promised no more expropiations (La Nacion, 27 April, Economia & Negocios, pg 2). That's to be seen. In any event, he's a man to watch.

Great. I would really want to know if there is any limit to his proposed "corrections" led by the government (or taken over solely by the government).

As for him promising no more expropriations. Yeah, I really believe politicians here (or anywhere else in the world) when they promise something.

If I was a Vice-Minister of Economy, I would "promise" no more expropriations too to calm fears. However, one, smart people are starting to pick up and leave the Argentine economy anyway, two, even if people do listen to this "promise", the next time they expropriate, then "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!"

I might be wrong but phone companies might be on the list next because where a country is run by fascists, there is always cause for alarm and then cause for government action to kick in to sort the problem out and then cause for government to take over private property and life in the collective interests of the state.

In an economy where the government sets high import/export duties (I'm talking about before the recent Draconian measures taken by the government), terrible labor laws and interferes constantly with the free market, the statement that the government is not at fault (rather, the mythical free market is), but must step in to make corrections, is just about the silliest thing I've ever heard!

He may be a guy to watch because he can do even more immeasurable harm here, but certainly not because he's got great ideas and an inside on how to make fascism work.

He might be a PHD economist but somehow they have all missed the point that owning an oil company and having access to the multi billions of $$$$$ required to expand and tap into shale oil etc are two totally different animals. I have not heard a single word from any of K clan as where this magic capital is being generated. Just because you steal a porsche it doesn't mean you know how to drive it.

Back