Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Well-known park or garden

Votes: 65 75.6%
  • None of the above

Votes: 9 10.5%

• Total voters

webteam

Administrator
People write here a lot about exchanging dollars etc. We really would like to see more posts about cultural events at this point. Buenos Aires offers vibrant arts and culture scene. How do you take advantage of it? Please, write about the most important cultural events you have visited in the last 12 month.

Obviously we write about what affects our day to day lives living here in Argentina, which this forum is for.

We are not to concerned with the color of the carpet in Tetro Colon.

Enriching your life through cultural engagement is not a trivial issue. It's not mutually exclusive with day-to-day concerns such as corruption and money.

I went to Dain Usine Cultural in Palermo last night. $30 entry, $30 glass of Malbec, quite pleasant, as was a selection of interesting fruit juice blends: not too sweet, which was a pleasant change. Limited menu available: I didn't eat but it looked pretty good.

Got about a 90 minute concert from a trio (guitar, flute, percussion), which I enjoyed a lot.

The singer guitarist was excellent: lovely clear voice and a rich and full guitar tone. Some excellent fingerpicking and chords. Songs lacked a bit of rhythm when he strummed, I thought. Peculiar time signature that didn't lend itself to dancing or tapping along.

Highlight for me was the young percussionist. Played fluently and used an interesting array of techniques: he had a hi-hat, a peculiar china cymbal, a wood stomp box that doubled as his seat, some sort of gourd, and a snare. Used a range of sticks, rods, and his hands. From what I gathered, he's an amigo de la casa, so likely to be there regularly for sessions. Well worth checking out.

The crowd sang along to a couple of tunes. A couple of guests sat in on a track and delivered some nice harmonies, too.

Well worth a visit if you're after a not-too-loud live performance and a glass of wine. Started about 8pm, so not too late on a school night, either.

Teatro Colon has numerous events. I attend there about three times per month. On the 16th is philharmonic concert; the following week Wagner -- they also have morning performances; San Martin square - about a month ago - International Food Fair - many countries represented like Vietnam, Thailand, etc whose citizens live in this country. Join Tours with meetups.com Enjoy Rosedal frequently and Botanical Garden. Attend Polo and Horseracing. I would attend plays but I have minimal ability in Spanish. It would be nice if we had a site where people posted events as there is something to do here every day. The Fine Art Museum -- the Fornabat Museum -- also another one in Puerto Madryn where you can see good reproductions of fine sculpture. How many people know of the City Art Museum now displaying children's toys and downstairs examples of old doors? walter

I've been going to the Usina del Arte recently and its fantastic. I was about to create a thread just about this.

In the last month:

First it was the buenos aires philharmonic (the resident orchestra from the colon) playing Beethoven

Next it was a 3 hour jazz show for International Jazz Day headlined by the Jorge López Ruiz Quartet which is made up of some of my favorite contemporary players

And just saturday there was a traditional folklore show from Jujuy.

And the best part? All completely free. the theater is nice if not elegant like the colon and the buliding itself is beautiful.

Bares Notables -- look this up in Wikipedia and other locations
Notable bars are 73 bares2 located within the city of Buenos Aires, Argentina that feature being the most representative of the city.Many of them have been officially recognized as a Cultural heritage of the city of Buenos Aires for their permanence in time, by being linked to the living history of its people, to have contributed to significant cultural and historical events, its preserved architectural design, etc.
The Act 35 defined as consider "notable" to a bar:
"It is considered remarkable bar to those bars, billiards or confection related events or cultural activities of significance; "those whose age, architectural design or local relevance, give it a value" I THINK YOU will find these places interesting. Here you can recapture some of the history of old Argentina.

I saw a Bass clinic hosted at a cultural center last night with Javier Malosetti. That is one nice thing about Argentina, that they do invest in their cultural heritage, sponsoring free events for the arts, music, etc. Free dance lessons can also be found if you are patient in looking. Anyway if you ever have a chance to see Javier, he has some amazing chops.

I was recently noticing this too - that all the threads are about how to exchange money and handle residency, etc etc. It makes us look a bit one-dimensional to see those threads forever in the forefront, but honestly - we're a bit backed into a corner. It's more about the situation than about us - all these crazy controls and policies. So much of life is about handling practical matters. Kind of like when you guys pegged the apartment rental ad to the top of the list recently. Gotta have some bread before you can put something sweet on it.

Over the weekend I went to centro cultural recoleta to check out an exhibition of argentine photographer Andy Goldstein - a collection of photos of families who live in villas y favelas all over latin america. well worth a visit.

Back