BA Expat Indeed

UK, I'll meet you half way, but that is as far as I care to go!

I agree that "OTHER PEOPLE" / "OTHERS" attitudes toward Argentina would be subject to change if their financial picture changed such that they actually had to earn a living there.

However, mine would not because I possess very little in the grand scheme of things. I do have stuff, but I am not drowning in it like so many others seem to be doing. Possessions are boat anchors around a person's neck once they go beyond the stuff you really want or need. I'd rather have quality than quantity. And if what I had was confiscated from me, I am in no way hurt all that much as I prize health, happiness and peace of mind along with good relationships. I try not to embrace what can't love me back.

I'm not a materialistic person either but I do enjoy peace of mind. I'm not convinced I'm guaranteed to have that here in the future.

Last edited:
Peace of mind, to me, in it's most pure form is to know I am mentally and physically healthy.

Somewhere, out there, many times over, just today alone ... countless people got the news ...

Their physician told them that they are suffering from something incurable and they are terminally ill.

D E V A S T A T I N G!!!

I don't give a damn about anything except for my health.

I have P E R S P E C T I V E!!!

I am not going into how I got my perspective, it is personal and quite identifying. (AND - NO! I have never been given the news ... THANKFULLY!!!)

And thank God I do have my perspective, because every single moment is a great gift to me.

Each and every day I have is like every other person's out there. I have work to do, chores to do and tasks I don't find appealing. I have people I am not crazy about to interact with as well. But, I never lose sight of what is important for a second. And to be as I am, it is a very serious weapon against getting caught up in the daily grind. I simply will not let that happen to me.

I fully expect to live to be 100 ... we have good genes in our family! But, there are no guarantees either ... One way or another, I have no intentions of letting small things wreck my life ... So if I lost it all today, no big deal ... I'll just re invent myself. I can handle that challenge if it ever comes my way.

FYI >>> I have an awful lot to lose. I am blessed. I say this from up high, but I mean it too.

Whilst it certainly holds no candle to Middlesbrough, the weather is better, the beef and wine are cheaper and one day when the daughter is in school full time I’ll be able play golf year round.

Compared to Washington, I don't feel personally secure here. Must lock doors, the car, and leave the spare tire home unless I take a long road trip - already lost three of them. But the main drawback is that in Argentina is impossible to plan ahead - laws and regulations change all the time.

Indeed. However I suspect my attitude as well as many others on here would soon change if we weren't as financially well off. And even then that could soon change in the future.
Heard that many times. I firmly believe if one is poor, one should stay put in one's home country than begging or living a miserable life in a foreign country. I often hear, oh..if you were earning in pesos - you would hate BA...Well, I have no reply for that. I doubt I would move here to earn 300 usd a month in pesos. So its N.A

If one is not too poor, this place is awesome especially till March 15.

We will see what happens in the future.

Like the other poster above, I lead a minimalistic lifestyle and its very easy to move and leave on short notice. My 100 m apartment is absolutely bare for past many years.

Heard that many times. I firmly believe if one is poor, one should stay put in one's home country than begging or living a miserable life in a foreign country. I often hear, oh..if you were earning in pesos - you would hate BA...Well, I have no reply for that. I doubt I would move here to earn 300 usd a month in pesos. So its N.A

If one is not too poor, this place is awesome especially till March 15.

We will see what happens in the future.

Like the other poster above, I lead a minimalistic lifestyle and its very easy to move and leave on short notice. My 100 m apartment is absolutely bare for past many years.
I dont disagree with what you are saying.

However, for many (poor) pensioners it can make a lot of sense to move to a cheaper country such as Argentina. I know a couple of them who enjoy a far better life here then they would have back home, just because they can have a much better life style incl restaurant visits etc. However, this requires openness (in mind, social skills), and then also the language comes into play. So its not for everyone.

However, this requires openness (in mind, social skills), and then also the language comes into play. So its not for everyone.

Agreed. This place is not for everyone. I know most people from my home land would struggle to live here more than 2 years..// And yes, my life in BA changed the day my Spanish went from beginner level to Advanced.

We have no other option but to be here, My wife is an only child so when her mother who was getting on in years started to have medical problems we decided to leave Scotland. We both gave up our jobs and luckily for me the opportinity came up to take voluntary redundancy.
Mother in law is now 85 and apart from mobility problems is in good health. I have no wish for her to kick the bucket so we'll be here as long as she's alive and kicking.
Back then we had a herd of cattle so I became a gaucho which suited me just fine as I was an outdoor type of person anyway. My wife started managing the rest of the business.

Back