Babysitting rates?

AmyCG

Registered
Hi there

I have just moved to Buenos Aires and looking for au pair/babysitting jobs. One couple has showed interest and asked me how much I would expect. However, I have no idea what the going rate is here in Buenos Aires. Any ideas? What would you charge/expect to pay?

Thanks

I have some friends that have a babysitter who is a college student. I asked them how much they pay her, they told me $20 per hour, plus travel expenses, and they leave her food to eat while she is there.

I have friends who have hired au pairs. Some pay less than that (I presume you mean PESOS20 per hour), but people that I know usually hire one full-time and the woman cleans, walks the dog and runs errands in addition to child-care.

You could possibly pay less, but unless you are very poor youirself, I would call that exploitation - even 20 pesos probably qualifies considering inflation here is 25%.

RR

Reactions: Ola
I'm an au pair for an Argentine kid and charge $30/hr. When I babysit for other families I know personally (some expats, some argentine) I charge $25. It seems to be an acceptable rate for all involved!

Great thanks for your help everyone, gives me a good idea.

Thank you for giving me some idea too, what about 20 hours weekly - babysitting, feeding the kids, some errands like picking up from school etc but not too much cleaning. Would a rate of lets say 25$ x 20 apply?
Thank you

I met a gal (from another South American country) who is a live out nanny for several expat families and she noted she earns AR$25 per hour. She seemed very content with that rate.

Back