Back in the UK - and thank you baexpats

Phil G

Registered
A big thank you to all those on baexpats who responded to our plea for advice and assistance. We flew out of BA on Sunday with Iberia and then to the UK from Madrid.
On the flight from Madrid we heard stories from some young Brits who had managed to get to Madrid from various parts of central and South America. One or two had endured really difficult journeys - a reminder, if any was needed, that it's not just the old farts who struggle, but there will be many young people, perhaps travelling on their own, who lack money and resource and are vulnerable n many ways.
On a lighter note, when was the last time any of you had an immigration officer smile, wish you luck and address you by your given name, as happened to me both in BA and Madrid. The obvious message - regardless of where you're from, we are in this shit together.
Los mejores deseos para todos en Argentina

First, thanks for letting us know you made it home in one piece - glad you got back ...

On a lighter note, when was the last time any of you had an immigration officer smile, wish you luck and address you by your given name, as happened to me both in BA and Madrid.
Every time I get back to the States, I get a "Welcome back, Mr. X" from the immigration officer. Automatic, but nice - really makes me feel I'm back home.

Not to me - they may say that to you. But whatever it is, it feels good

Last edited:
I have had immigration officials in Argentina greet me in a friendly way when I have returned. They seem better trained nowadays, many are younger and friendlier. I remember when they used to be old and grouchy.

We are all in this together. Maybe for the fist time in the history of the human race. Glad you made it back to The UK.

There is only one time I wasn’t asked for a return ticket or something similar by UK immigration authorities.

The date was September 16, 2001. In the mayhem of those days, all travelers had to clear immigration, regardless of duration of stay. I was headed to Canada via London (4 days late - my original travel date was supposed to be September 12...), and my stopover was supposed to be only several hours.

When asked when I’d be leaving, I gave the officer a weary look and said, “As soon as I can”. That did the trick - a smile (only time I ever got a smile at UK immigration!) and passport stamped.

Glad to know you got home. These are tough times.

A big thank you to all those on baexpats who responded to our plea for advice and assistance. We flew out of BA on Sunday with Iberia and then to the UK from Madrid.
On the flight from Madrid we heard stories from some young Brits who had managed to get to Madrid from various parts of central and South America. One or two had endured really difficult journeys - a reminder, if any was needed, that it's not just the old farts who struggle, but there will be many young people, perhaps travelling on their own, who lack money and resource and are vulnerable n many ways.
On a lighter note, when was the last time any of you had an immigration officer smile, wish you luck and address you by your given name, as happened to me both in BA and Madrid. The obvious message - regardless of where you're from, we are in this shit together.
Los mejores deseos para todos en Argentina

Good to hear your back! By the looks of it I’m here for the long haul. My flight back to the Uk is in may but I feel like not much will be different by then! To be honest I feel better here at the moment

Good to hear your back! By the looks of it I’m here for the long haul. My flight back to the Uk is in may but I feel like not much will be different by then! To be honest I feel better here at the moment
Was you on vacation or living here?

So happy to hear you made it back! Thanks for letting us know.

Back