Bahia Blanca

Thank you so much everybody for your answers ! jdr7137- special thanks for your intensive and helpful answer!

I have to admit that you are mostly just confirm what my first impression was. I am very thankful that you took the time and effort to write an answer as it really helped us.
We are used to travel around and must be flexible but I as well have the feeling that Bahia Blanca might not be the best place to stay as a family especially for three years. I am sure a year will pass fast but there is still two more to go and keeping in mind that it is difficult to find a job for me too, we hope to be able to make another choice. We will see how we can continue...I will let you know if we move to Bahia Blanca in the next weeks....

Again- thanks a lot for your help!
best wishes to all of you
LAWoman

...ahhh...forgot one more thing to ask- how are the rental prices? We must rent some appartment or house fully furnished? We need 3-4 bedroom. Is it hard to get something furnished?

Do you have an idea maybe with how much round about do we need to calulcate?

Thanks a lot again!
LAWoman

We had a hard time finding furnished apartments, but that might have just been our relo company LARM. We had two to choose from and our current apartment is pretty bad (problems with wiring telephone and electric, leaks etc. and the place was build in 95). When they say furnished it can really vary too, mostly it will be bare bones furnished. The military guys had a better agent so they got better places. As far as rent it can vary depending on what you need and location, but in general its cheaper than BsAs and I think pretty cheap in general. For something that large you will need a house and maybe would be best served looking in the suburbs.

And I second about the water - its undrinkable most of the year. And I'm from Philly, where I thought our water wasn't great tasting (in DC the tap water tastes like bottled) but drink it all the time. The tap water here tastes and smells like mold. Its off-putting in the shower, and I only drink it when absolutely necessary. A lot of people have full house filters, if you can find a place with that it would be a huge bonus.

We had a hard time finding furnished apartments, but that might have just been our relo company LARM. We had two to choose from and our current apartment is pretty bad (problems with wiring telephone and electric, leaks etc. and the place was build in 95). When they say furnished it can really vary too, mostly it will be bare bones furnished. The military guys had a better agent so they got better places. As far as rent it can vary depending on what you need and location, but in general its cheaper than BsAs and I think pretty cheap in general. For something that large you will need a house and maybe would be best served looking in the suburbs.

And I second about the water - its undrinkable most of the year. And I'm from Philly, where I thought our water wasn't great tasting (in DC the tap water tastes like bottled) but drink it all the time. The tap water here tastes and smells like mold. Its off-putting in the shower, and I only drink it when absolutely necessary. A lot of people have full house filters, if you can find a place with that it would be a huge bonus.

Again, thank you so much! This really helped a lot to make our decision.

After reading everything I am happy for you that you can go back home again soon- wish you all the best for that!

Thanks to everybody again- we will see in the next weeks whats happening with our plans..
best wishes
LAWoman

Thank you very much Gringoboy. I just wrote him a pm. After our talk the company decided to put everything on hold. Now, a couple of months later they just opened everything again and it seems that Bahia Blanca is still on for us. So maybe we are going to move there within a few weeks. More or less it just depends on us, if we say yes we will be there.....

As we are currently living in Thailand it will be a big change I guess :) We will see...

Best wishes
Bettina

Thailand to Bahia Blanca would be one serious culture shock. Would it have to be there?

If I wasn't in Buenos Aires, I would either be in Rosario or Mendoza.

Back