Barrios

JPD

Registered
Hey, I'm quite new to Buenos Aires and have no idea about the different barrios. Is Abasto considered a decent neighborhood or should I stay away from there. I'm looking at an apartment near Corrientes and Gallao. Best Regards

Abasto is ok during the day, but at night it is not so cool: drug dealing, street fights, drunk people, etc. I would look closer to Callao ( Congreso ) if I was you.

oooh, illegal Peruvian and Bolivian immigrants - I find that offensive.

I walk the streets of Abasto at all hours - it can look kind of rough but I have never felt threatened.

crisp eel said:
oooh, illegal Peruvian and Bolivian immigrants - I find that offensive.

I walk the streets of Abasto at all hours - it can look kind of rough but I have never felt threatened.

You are right :p I just edited that. It gets a bit ghetto ish at night in some streets ( have you tried going towards Sarmiento and Aguero? Everything between Corrientes and Cordoba is more normal, but Corrientes to the other side... Also some dead en streets ( Pasaje Zelaya ) are known for heavy drug selling ( crack ). Have you visited the block around the Abasto Towers? There are several blocks like that where houses have been taken and they host mini villas inside.

Of course you have the mall, Coto and Anchorena with all the tango stores, bars, etc, but there are several places in the neighborhood I would certainly would not recommend to a tourist/expat or city first timer.

Again, I apologize for that nasty comment I posted before, didn´t really mean it, but it was more of a figure of speech ( I know, a bad Argentine one )

Alright, thanks for the warnings. Recoleta it is then

JPD said:
Alright, thanks for the warnings. Recoleta it is then
Recoleta is safe, but so is Congreso and it is substantially cheaper. Some some parts of Almagro, Villa Crespo, Belgrano, Caballito. If you need to be close to Callao and Corrientes, Congreso is a good option.

Wait a minute please! do you guys ever been to Caballito?
Pls visit Parque Rivadavia at any time and then tell me. It is surrounded by nice apartment buildings, shops, restaurants, etc, with the subway A station at Acoyte (you can be in downtown in ten minutes flat). And the real state may cost you a bit less than Recoleta.
True, there are not many foreigners there, but neither you will be target either.

I live in Constitution on the street Estados Unidos. Perfectly safe--cheap, great transport (when not on strike) close to San Telmo. But of course it depends on the street and on what you want

Caballito is highly recommendable in my opinion. It's beautiful, rather safe, and a lot less expensive and touristy than Recoleta or Palermo. And you have the subte to the center in 10 mins! I couldn't find a place in Caballito so I live in Almagro which is near, and is not bad but is only a bit rougher in some parts at night. But in general Almagro is a nice neighborhood, you get a real neighborhood feel more than some of the more ritzy touristy areas.

Just a question: when you all talk about Abasto and it being dangerous at night, what zone do you actually consider 'Abasto'? Given that it's not a real neighborhood, but rather a made up one around the abasto shopping, I'm curious to know more or less from what street to what street is actually considered Abasto. Thanks!

Back