Basa In Retiro

Brunette36

Registered
I have been living in Retiro for the last 5 years and I love the architecture in the neighbourhood. Retiro has a few restaurants that you might be familiar with such as Dada and Filo; you might even have eaten in Sipan when it was in its prime (extraordinary but I wouldn’t recommend it now).

In 2013, Retiro saw the opening of three fairly advertised places: The Pony Line, (the cocktail bar in the Four Seasons), La Floreria (on Arroyo St.) and BASA (a basement restaurant on Basavilbaso St.)

I must confess that I simply love BASA. The cocktails and food are very good but the atmosphere is amazing. BASA is not the type of place where you go to meet people; it’s the kind of place where you go with your friends or partner. When you walk in, you can see the connection with ‘El Gran Danzon’ because it is owned by the same people and yet the diners and resto are so different: it is so spacious, there are people of all ages (20 -70), very low key, no ‘gatos’ and everyone looks either cool or stylish.

Unfortunately, the food is expensive even if the cocktails and wine are reasonable. Be aware that if you order something to share and ‘picar’ they will charge you ‘cubiertos’ as if you were having dinner.

If you are looking for the right balance between classy and chic, try BASA.

I agree, it is lovely! Really nice place for drinks; I have not tried the food there. Florería Atlántica makes me feel claustrophobic, although maybe if I went very early it would be different.

I used to live (moved 7 months ago) just on the other side of Juncal from BASA. While I never went myself, my wife and her sisters and friends used to love to go there. I've heard lots of good things about it. Looks nice from the outside :)

I agree, it is lovely! Really nice place for drinks; I have not tried the food there. Florería Atlántica makes me feel claustrophobic, although maybe if I went very early it would be different.
La Floreria has become extremely popular but it's not my kind of place/scene. Very good food and cocktails but small. I much prefer BASA. The Pony Line is the sort of bar where girls go to meet rich Argentine men on Wed. Muchos gatos, people say!

I used to live (moved 7 months ago) just on the other side of Juncal from BASA. While I never went myself, my wife and her sisters and friends used to love to go there. I've heard lots of good things about it. Looks nice from the outside :)
Great place, honestly! Food is overpriced but worth going for a drink.

Back