Bathroom Remodeling

"reglazing" a tile, technically, means to apply a new coat of liquid glaze, put the tile back in the kiln, and fire the glaze till it melts and fuses.
This is not done, commercially, in any country I am aware of.
Occasionally, skilled ceramic artists I know will do multiple firings of complex glaze patterns.

But to physically remove bathroom tiles, then reglaze them, is virtually impossible, and, if it could be done, would cost a fortune.

I can only assume that the OP meant to replace missing or broken tiles, or to remove all existing tiles, and retile with new tile.

Personally, I went down to the tile district, which is roughly Cordoba y Dorrego, and looked thru the new old stock at several stores til I found some I liked. There are also quite a few tile stores just off of Libertador, over in Nunez- this is more a "Design" neighborhood, so there are more modern, zippy designs, while on Cordoba, you find a lot of fifties and sixties styles, which go well with older BA apartments.
The neighborhood in Nunez is mostly on Arribenos, which is one block parallel to Libertador, kind of behind the Baruguel Azulay. There are a bunch of stores there.

In either neighborhood, you can find hundreds of different tiles, colors, textures, and sizes.
And, in either neighborhood, you can ask the guys at the stores for recommendations of tile layers. They deal with these guys every day, and know the good ones.

Or you can use your own tile layer- but either way, you need to find, and buy, the tile first. Its always cheaper to buy it yourself, rather than pay the markup for somebody else to do it, and get what they pick.

If all you care about is cheap, you can get tile at Blaisten on Juan B Justo. If you want fancy, you can go across the street to the Baruguel on the other side of Juan B Justo.

"reglazing" a tile, technically, means to apply a new coat of liquid glaze, put the tile back in the kiln, and fire the glaze till it melts and fuses.
This is not done, commercially, in any country I am aware of.

"Reglazing or refinishing" in the US involves using a spray, here's a link http://www.nybathtubreglazers.com/. It takes up to 4 days and it involves a highly skilled person to do it because it uses a toxic chemical. The apartment we just bought has a great vintage tub and sink in amazing condition but I just can't deal with the dated colors. It's easy to say chuck it out and replace it, but I think it's tragic to throw them in a landfill....plus the cost of replacing them with something comparable will be a pretty penny.

Here you go
http://servicio.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-155209127-enlozado-de-baneras-bachas-y-azulejos-_JM

"Reglazing or refinishing" in the US involves using a spray, here's a link http://www.nybathtubreglazers.com/. It takes up to 4 days and it involves a highly skilled person to do it because it uses a toxic chemical. The apartment we just bought has a great vintage tub and sink in amazing condition but I just can't deal with the dated colors. It's easy to say chuck it out and replace it, but I think it's tragic to throw them in a landfill....plus the cost of replacing them with something comparable will be a pretty penny.

Its an epoxy paint. Its a cheap fix with a limited lifespan.
I have had it done in the USA, on site- they rough up the original glass based enamel on a bathtub with sandpaper, then spray an epoxy paint on. My tub lasted about five years before it started to peel.
It is nowhere near a real refinish.
Cast iron bathtubs and sinks are finished with an enamel that is a slurry of actual glass frit, which is sprayed or dipped, then its fired in an oven, fusing the glass. This is not a process that is easy to touch up or redo. In the US, nobody re-enamels with real enamel anymore. There may still be a company in Argentina that does this, but I am not aware of it, but it would require removing the tub and sending it out.

The epoxy paint works even more poorly on cast ceramic sinks and toilets and bidets than it does on cast iron tubs. I would imagine a few years before it starts to peel.

I have a claw foot bathtub, real enamel on cast iron, in my bathroom. I bought it at the Pulgas, on Dorrego. Yes, it has a few chips, but its real, and it has character.

Back