BBVA and FATCA

Maikito

Registered
BBVA is requiring my FATCA number to be able to open an account with them.

I tried googling but it’s seems to be all confusing. Does anyone know what’s the fastest way to obtain the FATCA number?

Thanks in advance.

If a FACTA number exists, I never heard of it before reading this post, but I have never had to report my balance(s= in my Argentine bank accounts.

I have a social Security number and I signed a form (W-)? to comply with FATCA at my Banco Santander Rio sucursal in about 2013.

In my opinion, asking for your FACTA number is either a sign of ignorance on the part of the bank...or a deliberate way of preventing you from opening an account with them in the first place.

If I understand correctly, signing the form simply authorizes the bank to report any balance over ten thousand dollars at any time you had during the tax year.

PS: That being said, I beleive that US taxpayers are required to report to the IRS (by January 31?) each year if they ever had a total balance in all offshore accounts (combined) during the year for which they are filing.

As always, factual corrections to my posts are welcome.

Last edited:
I signed a form (W-)? to comply with FATCA at my Banco Santander Rio sucursal in about 2013.
They need to provide your SSN or ITIN for FATCA compliance.
This is correct. BBVA should just give you the paperwork to complete. Argentina banks ask you to fill out the standard USA IRS W9 (which you put your SSH or ITIN) form to be compliant with IRS FATCA regulations. They might ask more which would be their standard set of forms. In the past year I filled out many pages plus the IRS W9, electronically via the Docusign link with a financial institution here in Argentina. Also was required to upload just a W9 when MercadoPago started giving me daily interest payments (USD pennies) on my saldo balance.

Hi everyone and I appreciate all your responses.

I was able to open a basic savings account with a debit with Galicia with zero issues. They literally just asked for my DNI card, took the pictures of it and then a picture of me and I was done in less than 10 minutes.

I do want to use this same thread for a related question (just not for BBVA). I also tried opening an account with Brubank and it seems I will be able to be approved, but they asked me to fill out a "declaración jurada" with my social security number and my fiscal details. I have no problem with the the language and the information being asked. I just need help filling it out correctly, as to not mess up the process/approval. If someone has the time and is willing to guide me, please send me a private message and we can schedule a phone call or video call.

Thanks in advance.

The form is attached below:

ddjj-fatca-1a.png

Hi everyone and I appreciate all your responses.

I was able to open a basic savings account with a debit with Galicia with zero issues. They literally just asked for my DNI card, took the pictures of it and then a picture of me and I was done in less than 10 minutes.

I do want to use this same thread for a related question (just not for BBVA). I also tried opening an account with Brubank and it seems I will be able to be approved, but they asked me to fill out a "declaración jurada" with my social security number and my fiscal details. I have no problem with the the language and the information being asked. I just need help filling it out correctly, as to not mess up the process/approval. If someone has the time and is willing to guide me, please send me a private message and we can schedule a phone call or video call.

Thanks in advance.

The form is attached below:

View attachment 9513
As long as you only have tax residency in Argentina, the US or both, you check the "No" box, then as a US Citizen, check the box "Soy una persona....", add your SSN in the blank, your US address below that and then sign, print and date.

If you've got a third country's fiscal residency, that's when the other box comes into play.

Back