Beach destination in January?

clg3385

Registered
Do you have any recommendations on where to go in January to escape the city heat? We have young kids so we're looking for something with some life/services so we don't have to trek around too much but not too busy with people, etc. We've heard Uruguay is beautiful but often expensive and crowded; also have heard about south of BsAs (near Mar del Plata) but don't know much there...suggestions are welcome!!

Pinamar is beautiful,i lived there for 7 years,i still own a house if you need a big place to rent. :)

Keep in mind the water here is cold and the beach ks nasty and not so blue.
i have been 2-3 times and I dont plan on going back its very mediocore the beach towns here in Argentina..

Tandil is nice but does not have a beach, is small hills, generally is colder tan other areas, the same with the Sierra de la Ventana chain in the south of BA Province. The Atlantic Coast is full on summer (and expensive), but Carilo, and Mar de Las Pampas are beautiful and not so full of people (again expensive). Any other beach city/town will also do for lesser prices, such as San Clemente del Tuyu, which gets a bad rep because is not part of the high-class resort towns, but has a lot of nature and big beaches, the Mundo Marino Park (kind of a local Sea World), and other attractions. For less crowded places with less infrastructure, south of BA province, from Necochea on.

Jose Ignacio in Uruguay is nice & very expensive but you can seriously lower the bill renting a car & renting a house 5" from there. Very nice beach restaurant with delicious & light rabas also. The lighthouse is lovely & the local architecture is interesting.

If the young kids are old enough to enjoy sceneries, then touring across the mountains in a rented car can certainly be great (and quite cheap). Experience of a lifetime also (if someday you go back).

If you're willing to travel a little further, Puerto Madryn is nice, and much less crowded with a nice long stretch of beach and plenty of opportunities for outings to see the wildlife and other trips if you want a rest from sun lounging.

I really liked Carilo although you'll want to book now as there is limited space (Carilo is quite small) and it fills up quickly.

Yes, the water is cold and its not the blue that we're used to in the caribbean but when it's 40º+ you won't really care that its cold.

Back