Various Summer (And Winter) Beach Destinations For Porteños

yd_mtl

Registered
When porteños go away from Buenos Aires during the summer and go to beaches, how do they choose their destinations? For example, is the Costa Atlantica of BA Province (e.g. Mar del Plata, Pinamar, Necochea) for those porteños who just want to go to the nearest beach no matter what, while the Uruguayan beaches (e.g. Punta del Este, Piriapolis, La Paloma) are for more sophisticated/exclusive porteños and the southern Brazilian beaches (e.g. around Florianopolis) are for those porteños looking for more gorgeous beaches and scenery?

For that matter, why don't porteños go to tropical beaches during the winter so much (e.g. beaches in Rio and further north in Brazil), the way that people in Melbourne, Australia (roughly the same winter temperatures as Buenos Aires) go to the Queensland coast further north in Australia or the way that people in the northern US and Canada (with much harsher winters than either Buenos Aires or Melbourne) go to beaches in Florida, the Caribbean, and Mexico?

Those that can afford, during winter they go to Miami or Mexico.
Summer its usually Punta Del Este.
However, most Argentines take their holidays during the summer months - Jan-Feb (hence why Capital is a ghost town compared to the rest of the year in those months).
Brazil isnt as hip, although it still is popular.

All comes down to $$$. Usually a family will have a typical holiday destination that they go every year that depends on how much they want to spend and travel. That dictates the available options.

Brazil is expensive with pesos...Miami works out better value. Either that or one of those all inclusive packages where you eat and drink in the hotel for a week.

In other words, the reason why those from Buenos Aires (and elsewhere in Argentina and Uruguay) who can afford a vacation additional to their summer one (let's say in the winter) go to Florida, the Caribbean (esp. Cuba and the Dominican Republic), and Mexico instead of Brazil is because many of those places are cheaper for them than Brazil? I guess that they go to the Caribbean and Mexico for the all-inclusive resorts, and to Florida for better shopping, for stashing their assets in case their own currency runs into hyperinflation or devaluation like in the past, and for Disney World and Universal Studios? (I would imagine that the Caribbean and Mexico have many, many more all-inclusives than Brazil?)

Speaking of which, if Argentina and Uruguay were wealthy and First World countries with stable currencies (along the lines of the US/Canadian/Australian dollar, the UK pound, etc.), and Brazil was thus much cheaper, I suppose that many more winter sunseekers from Argentina/Uruguay would go to the Brazilian coastline from Rio northwards, and there would be many more all-inclusive resorts and so on in Brazil than the way it actually is? After all, Brazil is much, much closer to Argentina/Uruguay than Florida/the Caribbean/Mexico!

In other words, the reason why those from Buenos Aires (and elsewhere in Argentina and Uruguay) who can afford a vacation additional to their summer one (let's say in the winter) go to Florida, the Caribbean (esp. Cuba and the Dominican Republic), and Mexico instead of Brazil is because many of those places are cheaper for them than Brazil? I guess that they go to the Caribbean and Mexico for the all-inclusive resorts, and to Florida for better shopping, for stashing their assets in case their own currency runs into hyperinflation or devaluation like in the past, and for Disney World and Universal Studios? (I would imagine that the Caribbean and Mexico have many, many more all-inclusives than Brazil?)

Speaking of which, if Argentina and Uruguay were wealthy and First World countries with stable currencies (along the lines of the US/Canadian/Australian dollar, the UK pound, etc.), and Brazil was thus much cheaper, I suppose that many more winter sunseekers from Argentina/Uruguay would go to the Brazilian coastline from Rio northwards, and there would be many more all-inclusive resorts and so on in Brazil than the way it actually is? After all, Brazil is much, much closer to Argentina/Uruguay than Florida/the Caribbean/Mexico!
I went through these thoughts when planning a holiday early this year with my partner. It turned out northern Brazil would be just as expensive as the USA/Caribbean. I was lucky enough to have FF points to use so that took away the airfare part. The USA/Carribean offered a lot more options in the way of activities/hotels/restaurants etc. I have spent a lot of time in Brazil previously so it wasn't going to be a cultural thing for me. Ended up going to Miami/Orlando/Punta Cana and had a great time, except for the 3 days rain in Miami. It was also my first time on vacation in both countries which helped the decision. I found the flying options limited with regards to times/stopovers to fly to northern brazil as well.

We went to Buzios 2 years ago, it was great but we found it very expensive even with euros and european credit cards.

We went to Buzios 2 years ago, it was great but we found it very expensive even with euros and european credit cards.

I'm sure that Buzios and other destinations in Brazil would be cheap, though, for Americans, Canadians, Brits, and others with more strongly valued currencies, right?

People who can make it to Brazil in winter (besides the summer vacations) can perfectly make it to Miami or Mexico. Brazil is not that cheaper than Miami or Mexico, (but it is indeed cheaper) plus this people can go everywhere they want. There are very few people who can travel to the beach in winter. And those ones have the money to go everywhere they want.
The average argentine dont go anywhere in winter vacation, just go to the beach in summer. At the most, they go to ski to Mendoza, Bariloche, etc.

I went through these thoughts when planning a holiday early this year with my partner. It turned out northern Brazil would be just as expensive as the USA/Caribbean. I was lucky enough to have FF points to use so that took away the airfare part. The USA/Carribean offered a lot more options in the way of activities/hotels/restaurants etc. I have spent a lot of time in Brazil previously so it wasn't going to be a cultural thing for me. Ended up going to Miami/Orlando/Punta Cana and had a great time, except for the 3 days rain in Miami. It was also my first time on vacation in both countries which helped the decision. I found the flying options limited with regards to times/stopovers to fly to northern brazil as well.

I'll bet that if Argentina and Uruguay were more developed countries than they actually are, they would generate such a tourist demand to Brazil that Brazil would have a lot more options for activities, hotels, restaurants, etc. than in real life; right?

Back