Beans, Beans, Beans

Joe

Registered
I'm wanting to make some Chili and wondering about what beans are available. I like to use Pinto, Kidney and Black and even Great Northern. I think I have seen black beans but nothing else, What are the names in Spanish?

Can anyone tell me where I can find them, or even recommend substitute beans that are more readily available locally - it is chili after all.

Canned beans seem pretty expensive here, are dried beans a better alternative?

Any suggestions of good, locally available, ingredients for making chili would be appreciated.

Joe there is an abundance of beans (of all types and color) in Barrio Chino (Casa China is the name of the store) mostly dehydrated but very easy to reconstitute. Don't forget to make cornbread with the chili "yum".

Reactions: Joe
You can get all kinds of beans, mostly dry ones. I haven't seen too many in cans. I've bought borlotti & white (navy) beans in cans. I have also seen dry black beans & kidney beans (they could have been the red pinto beans, I didn't look close enough). Personally, I think it's a huge PITA to cook dry beans & if they are old, they never seem to soften properly (to my taste).

You can find more variety at the dieteticas, chinatown and/or larger supermarkets. Jumbo seemed to have more variety than the smaller discos near my house.

Chinatown also has chili power and different types of peppers. Jumbo had some small peppers in the produce section (i don't know if they are hot or the ones you need for chili) and jalepenos in jars. I don't know what you put in your chili. I only use a little bit of ground cayenne.

Basically, I can't imagine you will have problems making chili.

As Grazie said, there are loads of dried beans around. Wash them well and discard any stones that may be in with them. Soak in a pot of water overnight and they will reconstitute. Disco and Carrefour have some Mexican promo areas where you can get canned black beans. I have seen canned kidney beans in most stores too. I have sent you a pm with a chili recipe I use. Enjoy!:D

Joe said:
I'm wanting to make some Chili and wondering about what beans are available. I like to use Pinto, Kidney and Black and even Great Northern. I think I have seen black beans but nothing else, What are the names in Spanish?

1) If we were in Mexico, it would be easy to say "frijoles" and people would understand what you are saying. But here... :eek:

The Barrio Chino idea is a very good one. I've also noticed an increase in pseudo health food locations with arroz integral (wild rice) and beanos varios. (I still don't know the word for frijole here.) One just opened up a block from me that has all sorts of cereals, spices, rices, beans (black-eyed peas, black beans, something I bought today that may be a bean or may be a bulbus rice?...), and dried fruit including "pasas sin semillas" that reall are "SIN semillas".

2) REAL Chili doesn't have beans.

Though I like mine Chili with beans, that's a verboten topic around Chili Purists. And if you do like your chili with beans, call it "chili with beans". But NEVER refer to chili as "chili" and "chili without beans". In certain company that could drastically shorten your life expectancy.

Good luck with your cooking.

Beans,beans are good for your heart the more you eat the more you ..... errr forgot that part ;)

Beans = porotos

You will find black, pintos and other types no probs :)

I found a Mexican promo aisle at Carrefore in Paseo Alcorta, in the middle near the soft drinks section. It had the type of beans I think you are looking for in a red can called:

Brand: La Costena

Name: Frijoles Bayos Enteros

I also bought polenta to make cornbread and carne picada to put in the beans and a packet of taco seasoning which works in a pinch instead of chili seasoning.

betts said:
Brand: La Costena

Name: Frijoles Bayos Enteros

I also bought polenta to make cornbread and carne picada to put in the beans and a packet of taco seasoning which works in a pinch instead of chili seasoning.

Good man/woman (I can't tell from "betts"). What you need is to slice up a few jalapeños and slap them in that cornbread mix. Mmmmmm good.

As for "Frijoles Bayos Enteros"... they must be imported.

I found "porotos rojos" along with "porotos negros" and some other porotos at the ~health/grain/spice/cereal/dried fruit place that just opened up near me. I was going to mention the name the other day but I lost internet service in the process of transitioning from one provider to another. (I'm sure no one notice, cared, or was just relieved... thank you.)

Chili.... mmm....

What non-purist chili chefs commonly call kidney beans in English are called porotos colorado here. The large Coto stores usually have them, as do most of the small natural food shops. When I make chili I usually add a jar of La Costena salsa (currently available at Disco in mild, medium, and hot) in addition to the chili powder (that I bring from the states) along with some cumin and two or three boxes of tomato puree. I occasionally add frozen corn as well. I always use roast beef from Carrefour (still $8.95/kilo). Cubed and well browned before being added to the bean and salsa mix, it becomes sufficiently tender after simmering for a few hours.

Coto's has several types of beans in the bulk section...Libertador location....small white, large white, black beans, kidney, maybe even a pinto...lentils and split peas too...

If you have a pressure cooker, l couldn't live w/o mine, you can buy cheaper cuts of meat and they turn our perfect and tender with just a sort time in the pressure cooker ...then I add it to the soup or whatever I am making.....rice, beans, meat...LOVE my pressure cooker!!!

Back