Bed Bugs.

Thanks so much for sharing. I feel for you...I once had a flea infestation that practically gave me a breakdown...it required so much vigilance and physical work to deal with it, but I won the battle after a couple of weeks of what felt like war!
You are brave and kind to have shared all this with us. Your experience will benefit someone else in our community in the future, sorry you have to suffer through this. You will get the gift of resiliency and have educated us with your valuable posting.
Personally I'm rethinking my bad habit of snacking in bed.....

Thanks so much for sharing. I feel for you...I once had a flea infestation that practically gave me a breakdown...it required so much vigilance and physical work to deal with it, but I won the battle after a couple of weeks of what felt like war!
You are brave and kind to have shared all this with us. Your experience will benefit someone else in our community in the future, sorry you have to suffer through this. You will get the gift of resiliency and have educated us with your valuable posting.
Personally I'm rethinking my bad habit of snacking in bed.....

Thank you. I'm not so sure snacking in bed will bring fleas or bed bugs. Don't worry. They prefer blood. I finally solved the problem of finding a lavanderia with hot water. I hired a plumber to change the faucet in the wash basin that has hot water, and now I can hook my washing machine up to it and wash my clothes in hot water. Everyone here in Argentina tells me they don't wash their clothes in hot water because they get ruined because their clothes are such bad quality. I'm currently doing a load with Nike gear and clothes from the States. I figure if they can hold up in hot water washed in NYC they should up in my Argentine washing machine.

This is a bit late for "early detection," but these traps seem to be used also for periodic checks to see if any critters are still around after you have treated for them:
http://www.buggybeds.com/pages/how-it-works
The developers of this product took it to "the Shark Tank" on CNBC last year, and the Sharks were all over each other until they made history by all 5 going in together for the first time, to invest $1.25 million in the company. I don't know if the product works or if they just saw it as a moneymaking opportunity because most of us so hate the idea of bedbugs!

Good luck, nlaruccia. I hope you are rid of them already!

I tried to call 147 but due to the high volume of calls no one answers the phone and I don't have time to go to the nearest GCP. Luckily I found the part of their website where you can email in a request for just about anything under the sun, for those who might need to contact CGP in the future.

https://reclamos.buenosaires.gob.ar/suaci/index

They are on vacations!!!!

They are on vacations!!!!

That figures. I don't know why the automated answering service doesn't state that when you call instead of saying they can't take your call due to the high volume of calls.

I spoke to 147 day before yesterday. First time I called (mid-morning), the answering machine replied all agents were busy. Forgot about it for a few hours in the hassle of the day and later (close to 5:30 pm) called again and was able to dial all the options leading to an agent who kindly answered all my questions.
When calling these customer service try to avoid the first hours of the morning when everyone had the same idea. ... like going to the bank in order to be the first one in, almost impossible since "jubilados" will be there two hours before. Best time to go, is 30 minutes before closing time: less customers and employees willing to deal quickly with stuff so as to leave on time.

I spoke to 147 day before yesterday. First time I called (mid-morning), the answering machine replied all agents were busy. Forgot about it for a few hours in the hassle of the day and later (close to 5:30 pm) called again and was able to dial all the options leading to an agent who kindly answered all my questions.
When calling these customer service try to avoid the first hours of the morning when everyone had the same idea. ... like going to the bank in order to be the first one in, almost impossible since "jubilados" will be there two hours before. Best time to go, is 30 minutes before closing time: less customers and employees willing to deal quickly with stuff so as to leave on time.

I tried several times during the afternoon with no luck. I don't have a home phone and very few locutorios allow you to call 147, but I managed to get rid of the mattress and it was treated so it shouldn't pass on eggs or adults. Thank you for the tip.

Ick! Sorry to hear nlaruccia... Bed bugs are one of my nightmares. I got lice quite a few years ago and the psychological aspect of it is very disturbing. I was ready to shave my head.

070706_Mattress_fire.jpg

It was gone in 10 minutes. Of course it was treated by the fumigator first. He promised the bed was still usable. I wouldn't be so irresponsible as to throw a bed infested mattress in the street so someone else gets bitten all over.

The funny thing is the owner of the lavanderia picked an argument with me today when I went to pick up my sheets that he had washed, dried and ironed. He asked me how it went washing my clothes in hot water at home, and I said all my clothes even silk skirts and blouses came out perfect. He didn't believe me. He asked how I knew I had bed bugs and I explained that they had bitten me everywhere and that I saw them. He said, "that's why the edificios send a fumigator once a month". ""Sir, they send a fumigator to prevent cockroach infestations; they don't spray for bed bugs and fleas." He said that he didn't believe in "all that" and there is no such thing as bed bugs, and fleas because he's been in the laundry service for fifty years. I guess I was imagining it all.

Back