Before I flash my BIOS, need confirmation

In light of the new information, I would say it is a software conflict :) And that you should not bother with the bios.

However, it sounds like the heart of your problem is that, you really want the new core duo and that you are looking for a reason to buy it. So, if you can afford it, allow me to say, just go buy it.

YohoYoho said:
In light of the new information, I would say it is a software conflict :) And that you should not bother with the bios.

However, it sounds like the heart of your problem is that, you really want the new core duo and that you are looking for a reason to buy it. So, if you can afford it, allow me to say, just go buy it.

Indeed, there might be a freudian part to this :p

I just flashed it and it worked, hopefully.

I'll check for software conflicts.

Last time I had an Apple was back in 1982-1984, my beloved Apple //e.
I still have 700 5 1/4 floppy disks, I even brought them here.
Once in a while I play some Apple //e games (emulating my PC), like my favorite game of all times : Rescue raiders (never managed to finish it, I will someday !)

YohoYoho said:

I disagree - he has a very good environment to play around with and learn, and if he f**ks it up totally then you go buy new one.

Me: I would do a new install of windows, update bios, install latest drivers etc. Basically wiping the HD and starting from scratch.

Then i would look at add-on hardware. RAM (but you said you tested), HD, CD/DVD drive.. etc.

Then i would get the shits, throw the computer out the window and get a new one, being pissed off that i wasted so much time for nothing.. But as i said its a good opportunity for you to learn.

I agree whole heartedly with all of your advice davonz.

In fact, I would encourage buying more RAM anyway. I think of it as like a Demoral patch for the motherboard. It may have nothing to do with the original problem, but it is too distracted by having new RAM to care.

..although I totally agree with Davonz's intructions...maybe also try one extra thing...download a copy of HD tune free version & do a complete surface test on the hard drive too, I'm curious to see if you have some bad sectors interfering with the OS operation as well. Or also, if you could download a fresh copy of UBUNTU 10.4 & create a live boot CD then you could run your PC using linux for a few hours...if it freezes then you'll be sure you have a hardware problem. If it doesn't freeze then it could mean that either your hard disk has some errors on it or your Windows Prog isn't running right.

Flashing the BIOS is of course the last resort. I've done this many times in similar such situations in my line of work and sorry to say that it never fixed the problem.
If it's a PC Chips mobo, it's highly likely that it's fried somewhere.
I would replace the mobo. A good socket 478 for a P4 can be picked up for $100-$150.
Asus would be my choice.

Flashing the BIOS really won't fix your problem. From what it sounds like, your set up is rather old. Buy yourself a nice core i7 and be done with it.

Back