Being An Argentine In The Us Is Tough

I ticked the latino box when i applied for a scolarship in the usa and was told i wasnt latino due to my european(anglo) background!
That's too bad. My daughter's dad is from here and I'm from the US. She checked latino because she could prove he was born here and was told that was all it took. She got a minority based scholarship - yay!

It is just that you Colombians suck at PR. Rio is 100 times more dangerous than Bogota and somehow the Olympic Committee thought it was a good idea to have the 2016 games there. Also, many Americans, when they hear the words "Rio de Janeiro", they only think of asses and vaginas. It is all about PR. And you guys suck at it.

Could be true. Anyone who has been to Colombia in the past decade or so has seen that it is actually doing pretty well, yet most people have no idea and like to bring up the trafficking. There's still people who, when talking about Germany, like to bring up the Nazis, for example.

"Narcotráfico" may be less nowadays, but you still have "narcocultura" left, that is, people who want to make an easy buck (or a million) any way they can. A few months back I was taking a colectivo with a Colombian friend, and there was another Colombian begging all the passengers for money, since he was out of work as of 3 days ago. When no one budged, he went so far as to get down on his knees. It was a pathetic sight. My friend told him to stop dragging his flag on the ground and to get off of the bus before he kicked his ass.

Many people don't have a clue of the damage they do to their country when they pull shit like this. I've seen it among my "people" as well, as I often hear them talking negatively about our country a bit too much while abroad. It just so happens that there are a lot of Colombians here and elsewhere in the world.

A few months back I was taking a colectivo with a Colombian friend, and there was another Colombian begging all the passengers for money, since he was out of work as of 3 days ago. When no one budged, he went so far as to get down on his knees. It was a pathetic sight. My friend told him to stop dragging his flag on the ground and to get off of the bus before he kicked his ass.

Thank you for sharing. I don't understand though, did he have a small Colombian flag stitched to his pants (could be!) or did your friend thought he was metaphorically dragging Colombia's reputation on the floor by kneeling down?
I understand Colombian males still resort to violence or violence-threats irrespective to how it might link to their country's reputation.
I'm sure the guy will get another job in three days. The allure of a proper-Spanish speaking courteous person from the land of Coffee is too irresistible for most cafes.

Yeah, it was meant as a metaphor. And I hope everything went well for the guy, but with that crybaby attitude, I doubt it.

We dont like to be called Latinas because most of us have family in a place other than Latin America. We dont have much in common other than the language and Latin Americans shred us to pieces for that. We have the right to be proud of our ancestors as anybody else. My father is Italian and I am very proud of him , he is 80 years old and goes to calle Florida to work everyday. He is my role model.

We dont like to be called Latinas because most of us have family in a place other than Latin America. We dont have much in common other than the language and Latin Americans shred us to pieces for that. We have the right to be proud of our ancestors as anybody else. My father is Italian and I am very proud of him , he is 80 years old and goes to calle Florida to work everyday. He is my role model.
Indeed,being called latinos means that we have something in common with the people surrounding us,which is not true at all,we are just misplaced europeans,thats all.

I am not sure we are all that Europeans any more, there has been massive immigration in the last ten years. Let's remember that the late President Kirchner passed a rule where folks from Mercosur can apply for residency without any worries. This rule has made an important blueprint in our society bringing significant diversity but unfortunately only from one region. I do agree though that there are still important cultural differences between LA and Argentina.

GEE i just read what I wrote down...i hope I am not as boring as I sound!! :eek:

We dont have much in common other than the language and Latin Americans shred us to pieces for that.

Other than language, the fiesta de 15 anos, the love soap operas (Avenida Brasil, anyone?), the mate drinking, the passion for football and parting/dancing, the predominance of catholic faith, the love for father figure populist politicians, the bureocracy, the hierarchical and patriarchal societies, the whole profane/sacred duology, the social class structure and the close ties to the family structure. Yes, other than that, it is a completely alien society from the rest of LATAM.

I wonder why they rip you. I am sure it has nothing to do with that denial.

Camberiu: "the whole profane/sacred duology" - care to elaborate?

Back