Best Bife de Chorizo

I always am happy with Campo Bravo in Palermo. In fact last time I went to Campo Bravo I ordered some of their Risoto. WOW they have a amazing Risoto.

I'm an expat that has lived here for 3 years now - and my best bife de chorizo has to be at Parilla Pena (as others have posted) - Rodriguez Pena, entre Viamonte y Tucuman. It's not the trendiest place in town, but certainly not a dive - but great meat!

Cabrera is magnificent of course - and great sides - but it's a treat night really!

My wife prepares the best :) We buy it raw from Jumbo supermarket, roast it with a salt basting sauce and then serve it with papas al horno and a nice glass of red. Costs us 50 pesos to buy and prepare enough beef for 4 people. Takes 45 mins to roast. Delicious!!

All I can say is I'm jealous. Us peasants have to make the most of the public pickings! :)

Bife de Chorizo is a cut loved by the Yanks -- get a Lomo, much better!

Lomo lacks the fat that makes meat tasty. I'd go for rib eye. Lean meat surrounded by fat. Mmmmmmm.

Rib eye is what I used to cook, almost exclusively, back in Texas, over the grill with wood smoke from hickory or mesquite. I loved the tender, tender outside and the moderately tender inside, and like you say, JP, the fattier areas around the meat made it superb.

I like ojo de bife here somewhat, but it's not exactly the same cut of meat as what I was used to back in Texas, at least most of the time. When I buy it here, I believe they have cut out the bigger, not as tender portion to sell, without leaving on the fatty and very tender portion around the outside, although there are a couple of restaurants who have served it that way, I've noticed.

I buy a couple of kilos of bife de chorizo at about 25-30 pesos a kilo, then slice that whole piece of meat into 2-inch thick steaks and grill them on the parilla. The way most carniceros here cut the meat leaves a good ring of fat along one side, which does pretty good for bringing some flavor to the meat.

There are some lomos that are good, but I often find myself much more dissatisfied with lomos I have bought at the carniceria as opposed to the bife de chorizos, which are usually of a consistent quality. Nothing worse than paying for the lomo and getting a tough piece of meat.

jimdepalermo, I completely agree with the Calden de Soho and Don Justo recommendations! Two of my favourites that seem to be popular with locals but reasonably undiscovered by tourists or expats.

One more that I love love love - Juana M.

Back