Best Bloody Mary in BA?

robin.smith

Registered
One thing i miss (sadly) is a good saturday/sunday bloody mary after a night out. Any recommendations? I've looked but have had no luck.

Sadly I think that tomato juice is rare around these parts as a beverage--not to mention bloody mary's are generally a bit spicy, so I'm betting the odds aren't good. I, too, would love to hear if someone has had a good bloody mary (and how much it costs)!

(You could maybe make a pretty decent one on your own. I rarely see tomato juice in the stores. When it is around, it's expensive. That said, you could spice it up with pepper and hotsauce or horseradish, pickle your own green beans, etc. Campagnola has a tomato juice that's pretty decent, but the mark-up on v-8 juice is insane--I love that stuff but can't allow myself to buy it. The baby cans in the stores going for nearly $7, and the 1/2 liter bottles for close to 50!? That's like a peso a sip. booo)

robin.smith said:
One thing i miss (sadly) is a good saturday/sunday bloody mary after a night out. Any recommendations? I've looked but have had no luck.

The oak bar (inside or on the balcony) at the Hyatt.

Danny the barman at home hotel does a great bloody mary, best I've had in BA.

Robin,

I sometimes miss bloody marys (maries??) too, but it´s not a popular or even known drink here, except among "gente culta." As MizzMarr points out, tomato juice and the spice do not entice local palates. In the U.S. I make my own---I am kind of a bloody mary fanatic--- but here the ingredients are expensive and not easily attainable. So I make other drinks, like caipirinhas, spiked mint lemonade, "clericot," etc. (Of course these don´t work in the morning, which is what you are missing.) Can you transfer your craving to something else? Mimosas? It might be easier to accept that bloody maries are not the thing here - an attitude I have adopted towards many things since I moved here in 2006.

At Olsen in Palermo Hollywood I once ordered a bloody mary at Sunday brunch and was pleasantly surprised. I also tried one at Antares in Soho (I can´t drink beer otherwise I would have ordered one of their brews), but it was not good.

The pizza, bread, and coffee do suck here, but I don´t find it helpful to complain about it. I appreciate that your post was not whiny or ranty!

Let us know what you find!

Try Prodeo in Palermo Soho - they have a very good barman there from London who serves Bloody Mary's. They also serve it for Sunday brunch.

I stopped by HOME hotel to check out the bloody mary situation last night! The guys was super nice and he happened to be making one for the guy sitting at the bar. We had a laugh since i was interrogating his bloody mary making. But it was fantastic! He was using Jalapeno infused vodka that they make themselves. We didn't try one only because we had just finished a bottle of wine (wine with a bloody? not so good ) But after watching him make it I cant wait to go get one!

I heard that they make them at Novecento. Can't confirm. Just spreading the rumor! lol.

During a (fruitless) search for taco shells, I ended up in the Carrefour on Santa Fe (near alto Palermo) yesterday. They were selling massive cans of tomato juice (imported from the states - can't remember what brand) for (if I remember correctly) about 12 pesos - remembered this thread!

Back