Best Cafes for Working

deadlegs said:
I find it really sad that so many people come to this amazing city to 'experience' living in a new culture, new language, new country and then cluster together in little english speaking gangs in places like Starbucks rather than finding one of the many special and unique place that typifies the country they are in. If Starbucks is so great you may aswell move back to the states. There is good coffee here. Coffee did exist before the the invention of superfrappacrappamochachinos. A bit of frothy milk is not worth paying 3 times the price for.

Everyone has their reasons.

I drink black coffee that's it. NO sweet, whipped cream topped BS and Starbucks opens at 9AM. Two hours before the local cafe in my neighborhood, which I frequent. The internet in our house is under repair and I needed to get online immediately for work.

Lastly, I live with locals and they were working from here also.

Go here if you want a real cup of coffee: General de Cafe, on av. pueyrredón 1529, ( http://estcafe.com.ar/locales.html ) You can use a laptop too. They have coffee in the bean if you want to buy it; numerous types to choose from. Much of the coffee in BA has sugar added to it. Read the contents of the coffee in the stores. It is this,added sugar that makes it taste so vile. Some stores, such as Bonafide sell the bean also, but the beans themselves are coated with sugar.(!) It took me two years to figure this out.

deadlegs said:
I find it really sad that so many people come to this amazing city to 'experience' living in a new culture, new language, new country and then cluster together in little english speaking gangs in places like Starbucks rather than finding one of the many special and unique place that typifies the country they are in. If Starbucks is so great you may aswell move back to the states. There is good coffee here. Coffee did exist before the the invention of superfrappacrappamochachinos. A bit of frothy milk is not worth paying 3 times the price for.

I like how you've extrapolated from someone's coffee shop preference what kind of person they are, the kind of experience you presume they are looking for, presuming that they haven't tried other coffee shops in the city (which yes, are by and large pretty bad, with a few gems mixed in), and that because a person chooses to go to Starbucks that they should move back to the states.

By that logic if a Mexican immigrant to the states chooses to eat Mexican food from time to time they should move back to Mexico, and if an Argentine likes to drink mate every once in awhile they should move back to Argentina. Gravitating to the familiar is completely natural. As long as you are open to new experiences I don't see the problem in getting a taste of home every now and then.

I find it really sad that so many people come to this amazing city to 'experience' living in a new culture, new language, new country and then cluster together in little english speaking gangs in places like Starbucks rather than finding one of the many special and unique place that typifies the country they are in. If Starbucks is so great you may aswell move back to the states. There is good coffee here.

Oh, dear lord. How old are you?

People go to Starbucks, whether it's in NY, London, Tokyo, or Buenos Aires, because they like what it offers. I go because I like being able to order a venti, free-trade, triple-shot skim latte, and knowing that they'll re-make it if it's wrong. If more local cafes offered a better product and better service, I'd frequent them as well, but Cabrales tastes like battery acid and requesting any sort of modification from the menu makes most servers' heads explode.

What I find amusing is that you're sitting here, defending the sanctity of these "unique and special" coffee shops against the evil corporate interlopers, while the majority of Starbucks customers are, in fact, portenos.

Volta is the best for working, depending on what time you go it won't be that crowded. If you want to go with a laptop, they have good wifi and outlets.

Otherwise if you just take books and notebooks you may want to try some of the historical cafes.

Useful thread. Thank you. Does anyone have experience working in El Gato Negro? Wifi? Plug sockets? Max length of time you can stay?

Equally any reviews of the Havanna on Rodriguez Pena and Cordoba?

Tea Connection, Cerviño 3550
Good food, wifi, power outlets.

my favorite cafe to work in is LAS MENINAS bar next to the Cervantes Theatre...beautiful oasis...libertad 849

luismarcos said:
my favorite cafe to work in is LAS MENINAS bar next to the Cervantes Theatre...beautiful oasis...libertad 849

I went to check this place out on a Sunday morning and found it closed. Fortunately I headed two blocks over to Paraná and Paraguay and found that La Esquina de Anibal Troilo was open. It has a few plugs, good food, a nice atmosphere, and a relatively quiet soundtrack. The wifi connection is also very decent, 8mbps at a quiet time for the cafe.

Surprised nobody mentioned Rond Point.
No music, big but cozy. A party of one can occupy two tables close to the many outlets. WiFi's fast and it NEVER goes out.
Best point, It's a traditional Buenos Aires cafe (used to be ATC's token diner), the atmosphere is always cafe, but *I know many miss this, with 24hr breakfast service. The food aint bad either and, no it does not transform into a restaurant as it has proper restaurant on the first floor.
Best part of all after a couple of visits the waiters get to know you and you can leave your valuables for a bit while you either go to the bathroom or take a walk around leafy barrio parque.

Re other thread Croissants. TRUE ABOUT MALBA CAFE! REAL CROISSANTS! THANKS!

Re Starbuck, free trade. You mean fair trade? still... pleeeease, at least when you go to a local cafe you get to tip a local, not a rich Colombian on vacation (oh the irony!)... and you can always ask for a little jar of lukewarm water to water down an espresso into a 'venti'.

Back