Best Carne Restaurants

i do agree that a large number of restaurants here serve very bland, generic stuff of low quality. and a lot of food in the supermarkets is processed junk. but if you look hard enough you can find good stuff, and some exceptional restaurants. heirbabuena and artemisia are my two favorites here.

It has always amazed me how a country of so many people of Italian descent could have such mediocre Italian food. Yes, there are a few good Italian restaurants but on the whole they are mediocre and what passes for Italian cooking in homes is completely uninspiring. Somewhere over the years Italo-Argentines lost the art of cooking and appreciation for good fresh food.

It has always amazed me how a country of so many people of Italian descent could have such mediocre Italian food. Yes, there are a few good Italian restaurants but on the whole they are mediocre and what passes for Italian cooking in homes is completely uninspiring. Somewhere over the years Italo-Argentines lost the art of cooking and appreciation for good fresh food.

This has been commented before but the immigrant communities over generations believed that the kitchen was best left to the maid. In the provinces of the south there is a culture of home cooked meals prepared by the myriad of different communities. In capital federal a typical meal is milanesa y papas fritas. take away empanadas. store bought pasta. very simple high calorie dishes or washed down with cocacola.

This has been commented before but the immigrant communities over generations believed that the kitchen was best left to the maid. In the provinces of the south there is a culture of home cooked meals prepared by the myriad of different communities. In capital federal a typical meal is milanesa y papas fritas. take away empanadas. store bought pasta. very simple high calorie dishes or washed down with cocacola.

That's just not true at all, immigrant communities are the ones who couldn't afford maids. I know dozens of 3rd generation Italians in Argentina who have secret recipes passed down from their Italian abuelas that are amazing. Argentina is absolutely chock full of Italian restaurants that make their own pasta, along with pasta shops that sell fresh homemade pasta around every single corner (something you don't see anywhere else in the world but Italy and Argentina). Just because Milanesa is popular doesn't mean the Italian food isn't also plentiful and good. And by the way, Milanesa itself is an Italian dish, and in Italy it also has a side of papas fritas. So even THAT is VERY italian.

This country has the best Italian food that isn't made by first-generation Italians in the world. It's much much much better than the Italian food in the Anglo diaspora and has retained a lot more of its original characteristics, likely due to the much higher concentration of immigrants from Italy. The only big difference is the Pizza, but Argentine pizza has taken on its own identity and is now very much its own, unique thing, which is also a sign of a healthy gastronomic environment, since most other Latin American countries just serve US-style pizza.

Last edited:

Must consider that a great number of the Italian Immigrants came from Sicily and Calabria..!! So one must look for Cannoli and Southern Italian recipes..!!Any resemblance with the Torinese or Milanese cuisine.. little.. Some influence from Le Marche cuisine. See link for 7 Southern Italian dishes

https://loveitalianlife.com/7-glorious-southern-italy-food-recipes-you-need-in-your-life/

The subject was Carne Restos

That's just not true at all, immigrant communities are the ones who couldn't afford maids. I know dozens of 3rd generation Italians in Argentina who have secret recipes passed down from their Italian abuelas that are amazing. Argentina is absolutely chock full of Italian restaurants that make their own pasta, along with pasta shops that sell fresh homemade pasta around every single corner (something you don't see anywhere else in the world but Italy and Argentina). Just because Milanesa is popular doesn't mean the Italian food isn't also plentiful and good. And by the way, Milanesa itself is an Italian dish, and in Italy it also has a side of papas fritas. So even THAT is VERY italian.

This country has the best Italian food that isn't made by first-generation Italians in the world. It's much much much better than the Italian food in the Anglo diaspora and has retained a lot more of its original characteristics, likely due to the much higher concentration of immigrants from Italy. The only big difference is the Pizza, but Argentine pizza has taken on its own identity and is now very much its own, unique thing, which is also a sign of a healthy gastronomic environment, since most other Latin American countries just serve US-style pizza.

I do not see this great culture of Italian cooking you mention amongst italian inmigrants and it is certainly not true at all that the italian food is the best and most original in the world in Argentina . Is this a joke ? Melbourne Australia has 500 thousand italian descendants and they have whole neighbourhoods of italian culture with over 345 Italian restaurants in the city . . The italian culture food culture in Melbourne is light years ahead with much better italian coffee, pizza, pasta, home cooked to high end italian cooking .
https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurants-g255100-c26-Melbourne_Victoria.html .

Regarding the myth that Italians in Argentina have retained their culture more here than other countries this is a fallacy as I can name many cities that have huge italian communities with a much larger representation in the local culture . Toronto Canada, Montreal Canada, Chicago USA , Sydney Australia, Melbourne Australia , and San Pablo Brazil that has more italians than Buenos Aires .

I can assure you that while pasta can be good in Argentina in most restaurants its very disappointing and lets not talk about the very low quality pizza you find here . There is also good pizza in some restaurants but we are talking at best 10% . This is hardly indicative of a sophisticated food culture . I speak to many italian people here as tourists or newly arrived expats and they are always very disappointed in the italian food in Argentina as it lacks innovation and attention to detail .

Buenos Aires with a population of more than double Melbourne has less italian restaurants . On trip advisor there were 332 restaurants https://www.tripadvisor.com.ar/Restaurants-g312741-c26-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html. On this list at best maybe 30 are good restaurants . I have eaten in maybe 100 italian restaurants and less than 5 I have returned to because the quality of the food was so bad from the stale bread, pasta dishes lacking complete flavour and italian deserts that were brought from a cake shop a few days earlier . Food is passion and dedication and sadly most restaurant owners in Argentina are looking for quick turnover and the cheapest quality ingredients . This is the reason that many of the older restaurants are now closing as they need to step up their game and consider their clients more .
Yes and I know that milanesa is a italian inspired dish . I mentioned this as it is the most popular italian argentinian meal served in houses . For me compared to a good weiner snitzel there is no comparison in taste . I have had maybe 10 good milanesas in restaurants and homes here in 12 years . Italian food has 1000s of dishes and is not milanesa and pizza and simple pastas but going by what people eat in homes here its the main italian dish. A good lasagna is very rare to find as it takes time to prepare and this is the main point . The lack of detail in argentinian cooking is very well known even in South America . Peruvian food has long ago surpassed Argentinian food due to the complex flavours and variety of dishes one can eat . Life is not about just eating a milanesa and papas fritas thank you .

Last edited:
I really don't agree with Fdipo. There may be some families of Italian background where they still cook fresh food but what I've seen for the most part is not memorable. I think that aside from not wanting to spend a lot of time in the kitchen a problem is the difficulty in obtaining good quality fresh ingredients. Cheese, for example, is poor quality in Argentina unless you go to a few specialty shops and pay a fortune. What is routinely available in markets in Italy is a lot harder to find in Argentina.

Someone mentioned La Brigada. I went there a few weeks ago and was really turned off by the touristy junk they had for sale near the entrance - a kind of gift shop with a lot of kitschy souvenirs. I looked at the menu and saw that prices were not a lot cheaper than El Mirasol. Decided to leave and found a less touristy place nearby - much cheaper and probably comparable quality.

I cant speak for Australia. But I can say that, given the brave efforts of the Olive Garden and similar restaurants, the USA is every bit as full of shitty faux "italian" food as any country on earth. And the vast US is full of Food Deserts where there is NOTHING worth eating for a hundred miles.

I dont care much for broad generalisations- I know that, if I do a bit of searching, I can get good Italian food in BA, as well as lots of other great food. And I also know that, meaninglessly and anecdotally, I have gone a week in Utah without a single decent meal.

Anything good, anywhere, requires some work to find.

Back