Best Closed Door Dinner

Not wanting to put a downer on things but I went to Concina Sunae a few months back and I thought it was pretty poor. The friend I was with ordered the pork and it was barely edible as it was so tough. I had vegetarian food though and it was pretty good but nothing special. The hosts are very friendly and provide very good service and there is a decent wine list. But as for the food, I don't understand why everyone was saying it was so good!

I think it depends what is being offered... last night there was a tom kai gai soup (thai soup of coconut milk base with chicken and mushrooms) which is a fave thai dish and their version was just how I like it. Then there was a perfect fresh spring roll with perfect peanut sauce. For the mains we ordered 1 each so got to try both... the pad thai was a bit moist but for BA, amazing. I've only had a better one at Phuket restaurant (which may be the only thing that Phuket gets right). My bf had the beef in Chang Mai curry sauce. I liked the sauce but not the beef as it was soft like in a stew, I didn't like the texture and for thai food I would have expected it to come in little chunks; it's not like anything I've ever had before so that was maybe the only slightly disappointing thing. Otherwise I'd give it a 95% vote. It could just depend on what's on offer as it changes week to week. But true, pretty expensive meal to be disappointed by!!

I think it depends what is being offered... last night there was a tom kai gai soup (thai soup of coconut milk base with chicken and mushrooms) which is a fave thai dish and their version was just how I like it. Then there was a perfect fresh spring roll with perfect peanut sauce. For the mains we ordered 1 each so got to try both... the pad thai was a bit moist but for BA, amazing. I've only had a better one at Phuket restaurant (which may be the only thing that Phuket gets right). My bf had the beef in Chang Mai curry sauce. I liked the sauce but not the beef as it was soft like in a stew, I didn't like the texture and for thai food I would have expected it to come in little chunks; it's not like anything I've ever had before so that was maybe the only slightly disappointing thing. Otherwise I'd give it a 95% vote. It could just depend on what's on offer as it changes week to week. But true, pretty expensive meal to be disappointed by!!
It is entirely possible that it is just hit and miss and that we happened to go on a night that wasn't their best. Still, if they're charging high prices (well high by BA standards!) then they should be delivering on quality. It is excellent to hear that others have had better experiences, because my two friends and I went home feeling pretty disappointed after eating there.

So what is the average fare per person at Cocina Sunae..... :confused:

$180 pesos plus drinks, per person.

compare that to $65 US at saltshaker, with wine.
or
$245 pesos at Felix, plus drinks.

$180 pesos plus drinks, per person.

compare that to $65 US at saltshaker, with wine.
or
$245 pesos at Felix, plus drinks.

And how do they measure up in comparison? I haven't been to either but wanna try more if they aren't exorbitantly priced! Otherwise I'd rather go to a really fancy restaurant and get to pick out exactly what I want...

Not wanting to put a downer on things but I went to Concina Sunae a few months back and I thought it was pretty poor. The friend I was with ordered the pork and it was barely edible as it was so tough. I had vegetarian food though and it was pretty good but nothing special. The hosts are very friendly and provide very good service and there is a decent wine list. But as for the food, I don't understand why everyone was saying it was so good!

I think you must have got unlucky, every restaurant has nights when things go wrong. I've been regularly and always thought the quality was consistent. And at 180 pesos its one of the cheaper closed doors.

And how do they measure up in comparison? I haven't been to either but wanna try more if they aren't exorbitantly priced! Otherwise I'd rather go to a really fancy restaurant and get to pick out exactly what I want...

I've been to all three, and would go back again.

Back