Best Countries For Expats 2017 – Ranked

The goal of these "rankings" articles is not to spread accurate, useful information but to convince you to read their web page and click on one of their ads, or subscribe so you can later click on one of their ads.

Kinda like the articles that call Buenos Aires "The Paris of Latin America?" :rolleyes:

PS: That's really unfortunate because there are a lot of people who want to get out of the countries they are living in now and would benefit greatly from accurate information.

I wish they would describe more their methodology so we knew all the factors and the weightings of the factors

Out of curiosity, whats the process and the penalties?

This was five years ago and I can't remember the exact process as I didn't go too far down that road, but I do remember that to fire him I would have had to pay a lot of money. I actually closed down the business when I left to live in Australia, and gave three staff a reasonable payout. They had no option to accept as i was already out the country. The lazy good for nothing that I wanted to fire, got nothing.. I've been back a few times since on holiday but with no issues at immigration.

I think there are far more stable countries to live in where the COL is consistently lower and where you can do basic things like banking without endless restrictions and complications.

I wish they would describe more their methodology so we knew all the factors and the weightings of the factors

If you download the report there is a brief section on the methodology. The survey had approx 12,000 respondents in 188 countries. However: "For a country to be listed in any of the indices and thus in the overall ranking, a sample size of at least 75 survey participants per destination was necessary." It then goes on to say that in some countries they far exceeded that number of respondents. So, you know, take it all with a grain of salt. 800 respondents in Germany vs 75 in another... And of course, this survey is from Internations, so I am sure in communities where the Internations activities are more well attended also happen to be in the countries where more people responded, and most likely, where more people responded positively. I don't even know if Internations is that active here anymore -- the last time I went to an event must have been at least 8 years ago.

https://cms-internationsgmbh.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/file/2017-09/Expat_Insider_2017_The_InterNations_Survey.pdf

Bs As, not Arg per se, is a decent expat destination when and only when the exchange rate for the USD (or other "strong" currencies) makes the cost of living very low in comparison with other world capital cities. That low cost of living compensates for small annoyances like dog crap on broken sidewalks, and larger ones like drivers who have no respect for the law or the safety of others, frequent power outages rendering elevators/aircon inoperable and a legal system so dysfunctional as to be laughable. Add into the mix the constant complaining about corruption with little done to actually eliminate it and this place can be downright unpleasant unless my dinner costs no more than half of what it would cost me in Miami, my other residence (or a bunch of other cities in and out of the US).
Now that the peso is comparatively strong, I'm thinking of selling my Recoleta apt and finding another alternative location in which to spend time in my senior years. Vancouver, Toronto, anyone?

Funny,the day before this came out i decided to leave BA for Costa Rica. Spent a year here and I can only say that this is not a city I want to live in.

Yes the dogshit and the constant barking is annoying but most of all the terrible food, ugly girls and very narrow minds of most argentinians.I suggested an Indian restaurant last time I was out with natives. I got some weird looks and one guy actually said "we are in argentina now, we don't like to try new things" so we went and had a terrible argie style pizza.

The meat that everybody is talking so much about is mediocre. It's just that they eat it everywhere. Good quality meat costs the same here as in europe but is harder to find here. I don't even like to stay up late at nght so I really don't fit in here.

Funny,the day before this came out i decided to leave BA for Costa Rica. Spent a year here and I can only say that this is not a city I want to live in.

Yes the dogshit and the constant barking is annoying but most of all the terrible food, ugly girls and very narrow minds of most argentinians.I suggested an Indian restaurant last time I was out with natives. I got some weird looks and one guy actually said "we are in argentina now, we don't like to try new things" so we went and had a terrible argie style pizza.

The meat that everybody is talking so much about is mediocre. It's just that they eat it everywhere. Good quality meat costs the same here as in europe but is harder to find here. I don't even like to stay up late at nght so I really don't fit in here.

If you think the food is bad now you would have been horrified a few years ago when there was virtually no "ethnic" food to be found in the city. I find Porteños more willing to try different food than in the past but I do know what you mean about their attitudes toward things like Indian food. Many will outright reject it. The problem with beef nowadays is that it is no longer exclusively grass fed. A lot of grazing land was converted to more profitable soy production. You have to go to the best parrillas to get good beef. They are more expensive but I don't think they've reached prices at the best steak houses in the US (I saw $60 US for a filet mignon at one place in the US). Pizza can be pretty bad in Argentina, agreed. Some places are better than others but the problem tends to be thick tasteless crust and low quality cheese.

Agree !!!!!!!!!!

Food, here, simply put, ....... atrocious!!!!
10 years petrified decomposed black inside lobster and Spoiled fish at top premium US$.

You forgot to mention living with and among the weird quirk coward thieves Argentine chorros, is a great pleasure and honor.

3rd world chorros pretending to be 1st world class.

Only thing in favor of Argentina now is the sun and the weather.
But at what price?

Back