Best Mexican Restaurant in City

texxaslonghorn said:
the fajitas at Maria Felix might not be authentic, but they are some of the best I've ever had (and I grew up near Mexico)

I have to say I don't know why people don't/didn't like Maria Felix. We quite liked it. We went with Mexican friends on 5 de Mayo, just for fun. food was good, the drinks were good, the service was good, the place was cute although it smelt like paint (renovations). Even my Mexican friends like it & said it was quite authentic (for here). I was surprised to read it had a 12 (!) on guiaoleo*.

I guess "Mexican" food is much more subjective and regional than pizza! ;)

*although to be honest I don't really trust that guide as it's based on local tastes which we know are different from "furner" tastes.

mini said:
I have to say I don't know why people don't/didn't like Maria Felix. We quite liked it. We went with Mexican friends on 5 de Mayo, just for fun. food was good, the drinks were good, the service was good, the place was cute although it smelt like paint (renovations). Even my Mexican friends like it & said it was quite authentic (for here). I was surprised to read it had a 12 (!) on guiaoleo*.

I guess "Mexican" food is much more subjective and regional than pizza! ;)

*although to be honest I don't really trust that guide as it's based on local tastes which we know are different from "furner" tastes.
In total agreement here. I've said before, but I think it's pretty good (though the best Mexican in BA I've found is at my house;)). I rarely trust guia oleo for the same reasons that Mini says, and it seems to me that the Argentines have different criteria and assessment of restaurants than I do. Then again, I have been known on occasion to complain that Argentines have an aversion to flavor (ok, strong flavor)... .

Back