Best not touristy things to do in Buenos Aires?

Go to La Grande on tuesday nights. You wont see another tourist there. Santos Dumont 4040, it starts at 8. Or, tomorrow night, the 26th, go there and see one of the guys from Morbo y Mambo. Morbo will play, in full, on friday at La Tangente- great place to see them, and, again, you will probably be the only tourist.

If you are interested in street art at all, go to Calle Lanin in Barracas. It a hidden gem. Marino Santa Maria is an artist who has painted and mosaiced a two block street . It is an amazing extravaganza of color and design.

If you are interested in street art at all, go to Calle Lanin in Barracas. It a hidden gem. Marino Santa Maria is an artist who has painted and mosaiced a two block street . It is an amazing extravaganza of color and design.
It's really amazing. Once I met M. Santa Maria talking to people in the street as his atelier is right there and he invited everyone to come in. He explained that he takes upon himself to do the maintenance of the fronts of those homes in Venetian mosaic in calle Lanin. He also created murals that can be seen at line H subway station Las Heras, has also done artwork on line D Plaza Italia subway station and a mural for Hospital Británico, among other masterpieces.

It's really amazing. Once I met M. Santa Maria talking to people in the street as his atelier is right there and he invited everyone to come in. He explained that he takes upon himself to do the maintenance of the fronts of those homes in Venetian mosaic in calle Lanin. He also created murals that can be seen at line H subway station Las Heras, has also done artwork on line D Plaza Italia subway station and a mural for Hospital Británico, among other masterpieces.
Thanks, I didn't know about his other work. I will go see it. He is an amazing artist!

Correction: Tripadviser's 4.5 rating for the Centro Naval was for the facade of the building, not the quality of the restaurant. If I had read more carefully, I would have noted that not one reviewer had actually gotten past the guard in the lobby (none having made lunch reservations in advance, and I suppose none having been interested in lunching there in the first place). They simply admired the doors and building architecture while standing on Florida. Still, if I were writing a review, I would recommend the restaurant as an interestingly different dining experience and the building as worth a look inside.

Are you sure the club is open to the public? I looked at the link you copied. No comment on the club's being open to non-members. Someone posted that it's a hotel and that he went there with his girlfriend for several days!

Last edited:
Are you sure the club is open to the public? I looked at the link you copied. No comment on the club's being open to non-members. Someone posted that it's a hotel and that he went there with his girlfriend for several days!

Last year I attended a "tea service" at an event sponsored by historian Eduardo Lazzari at Centro Naval. A beautiful place.
I see that you can take a guided tour of the place during weekdays at 11:00 am and 3:00 pm without reservations. Check out http://www.eduardolazzari.com.ar/tag/centro-naval/

There is a hotel of the same name (Hotel Centro Naval) nearby at Cordoba 622. A reviewer got his lines crossed I think. Though I haven't tested it personally, being always with a naval associate, the Centro Naval website is pretty clear on the subject of public attendance - tripadviser maybe not so much.

Visiting the Centro Naval website again, I noticed and as Silvie noted: Visitas guiadas a la Sede Central del Centro Naval. Una extraordinaria experiencia en uno de los edificios más representativos de la ciudad de Buenos Aires. Todos los sábados, 12 hs. y 16 hs. A cargo de guías de la Fundación Arq. Ing. Francisco Salamone, preparados por el historiador Eduardo Lazzari.
CON RESERVA PREVIA llamando al 4382-9989. Cupo de 30 personas.
http://www.centronaval.org.ar/sedes/sede-central.html

There is a hotel of the same name (Hotel Centro Naval) nearby at Cordoba 622. A reviewer got his lines crossed I think. Though I haven't tested it personally, being always with a naval associate, the Centro Naval website is pretty clear on the subject of public attendance - tripadviser maybe not so much.

Visiting the Centro Naval website again, I noticed and as Silvie noted: Visitas guiadas a la Sede Central del Centro Naval. Una extraordinaria experiencia en uno de los edificios más representativos de la ciudad de Buenos Aires. Todos los sábados, 12 hs. y 16 hs. A cargo de guías de la Fundación Arq. Ing. Francisco Salamone, preparados por el historiador Eduardo Lazzari.
CON RESERVA PREVIA llamando al 4382-9989. Cupo de 30 personas.
http://www.centronaval.org.ar/sedes/sede-central.html

I could not find anything on the website about the dining room being open to the public. Where does it say that?

I could not find anything on the website about the dining room being open to the public. Where does it say that?

It was well-hidden, but under Sedes / SERVICIOS GASTRONÓMICOS:
Restaurante: Ubicado en el 6º piso. Abierto al público de lunes a viernes de 1200 a 1530.
Las reservas se pueden realizar a los teléfonos: 4311-5486/1011 al 1016 – int. 604.
E-mail: [email protected]
r

In looking for the restaurant info, I saw that the Hotel Centro Naval is directly linked off the Centro Naval website as "Anexo Hotel," so the connection is more direct than I had always assumed (I figured the hotel just borrowed the name on the basis of nearness). The hotel also has a dining room of course, but that is distinct from the one on the 6th-floor of club Centro Naval.

A random google resulted in a Spanish language 2016 tripadviser page that headlines, “Vista del restaurante del Centro Naval, abierto para todo el público” (small picture of the dining room). In lesser type: "Ahora se puede almorzar o cenar de lunes a viernes en el sexto piso del hermoso edificio." https://www.tripadvisor.com/Locatio...al-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html. So I guess the dining room at 801 Florida has been open to the public for at least a couple of years.

Back