Best parrillas / steakhouses

The best parilla is Don Julio and second best Nuestro Secreto

El Establo, small parrilla, great for people Downtown, Paraguay.489.? Used to visit it in 2003, a favorite for tourists at the Sheraton Retiro.Maybe worth the UBER ride..?
However you get there it's worth the ride. It's the kind of place you earn your stripes with the sometimes haughty maitre'd and a dedicated waiter who will respetfully look after you like family, eventually. As said, it's a cultural experience and it's serious carne and white table cloth. What we came for. Price is right, top quality beef, interesting side dishes and a respectable wine list.
Sometimes getting seated, where, isn't your first choice but once you're in and order placed all melts away when the waiter lays that perfect bife chorizo on your plate, pours the wine and away you go.

Not impressed at all with Don Julio. The highlight was walking in past the crowds and being seated at a great table. It was downhill from there. Rushed, indifferent service. Warm wine. Average meat with no guarnición included at all. The side dishes we did order were forgettable.
I much prefer La Cabrera (the old location, not the one on the corner). We’ve been going there for at least 15 years and have never had a bad experience. Plus, visitors love it.
Let’s face it, the quality of beef in Argentina has diminished in the last decade. Even at these prices, nothing is as good as it used to be.
The one time I ate at the Alvear, I got food poisoning. Go figure. Great hotel though.

Not impressed at all with Don Julio. The highlight was walking in past the crowds and being seated at a great table. It was downhill from there. Rushed, indifferent service. Warm wine. Average meat with no guarnición included at all. The side dishes we did order were forgettable.
I much prefer La Cabrera (the old location, not the one on the corner). We’ve been going there for at least 15 years and have never had a bad experience. Plus, visitors love it.
Let’s face it, the quality of beef in Argentina has diminished in the last decade. Even at these prices, nothing is as good as it used to be.
The one time I ate at the Alvear, I got food poisoning. Go figure. Great hotel though.

What were you not impressed about Don Julio ? Its the best restaurant in Argentina and has the best grass fed steak in the country . The entecot , Bife de Chorizo, and Ojo del Bife are outstanding. I have eaten there over 30 times and the meat has always been succulent and fresh. The side dishes as well are excellent. Yes I do agree that the atmosphere is crowded and this can detract from the experience but in quality of meat there is no comparable and this reflects in its rating as the best restaurant of Argentina and fourth best in all of South America.

I agree with you that the quality of meat has gone down drastically and the majority of parillas serve Feed lot meat which imho has a very different flavour and is not healthy like grass fed meat which is a perfect food for human beings and over 5 times higher in omega 3 than feed lot meat .

Last edited:
Any cheaper options?

There is a great parilla that is always perfect ( never had a bad meal there) Called Calden de Soho on the corner of Malabia and Honduras . For 1000 pesos you can eat very well there and the portions are large .

There is a great parilla that is always perfect ( never had a bad meal there) Called Calden de Soho on the corner of Malabia and Honduras . For 1000 pesos you can eat very well there and the portions are large .
Have eaten there. Met the owner, who says he wants to keep the prices low so that everyone can have access to great Argentine meat.

Calden is great parrilla . Friendly waiters . Never had a bad lomo. But current prices for a frugal meal NO dessert run $1500 per person. Check a Dec. pay slip no tip . 1 bife , 1/2 entraña , shared grilled veggies , 1 wine, 1 water. See pay slip below.

Last edited:
I like Fervor, Posadas 1519. Great selection of steaks and seafood. Absolutely phenomenal service. Excellent place for a date, and you can smoke cigars at Prado y Neptuno next door before or after.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Food and Drink 10
pauper Expat Life 0
Back