best place to change euro's

snowwhitebum said:
Yes, it sounds a bit cloak and dagger to me.

The plan was to change enough to buy a car, however, the idea of walking up and down Florida looking for a whispering money changer is somewhat off putting.

I think ill stick to the ATM for now, if we decide to go ahead and buy a car i'd feel a lot more comfortable negotiating a better rate for my Euro's with the Fiat salesman rather than someone imitating a crack dealer in Dam square.

The car dealerships were taking USD at aboui $5,50 , at the current blue rate $6,05, Who Knows?:confused: You would Compound the loss by using the ATM and buying a FIAT :)

ElQueso said:
And it's not like it's a big hassle either. I spent a total of 45 minutes to get my month's expenditures down here yesterday. Hell, I can spend 20 minutes sometimes just finding an ATM that will give out cash. And ten of those minutes were spent chatting with a really nice and clued-in guy (my "broker") about Argentina, Miami and the economy here. All of that, for a 35% return on my investment.

My partner uses a Peso Delivery Service ...:D in Recoleta, deiivered to your home or office, no tips required:)

You could always try in small amounts first... there's less risk that way and it should still give you a much better rate than the bank. I don't know if there's a minimum to use the service? :confused:

If it's only a one time thing for not too much money changing at the bank makes sense (it's safe and 30% less may be worth it if it's a small amount), but if you're going to be here long term, I'd definitely try to find a better rate rather than get cheated by the banks and government. Your dollar or euro shouldn't be buying you less and less per day (at least not at the rate inflation is going in pesos while the official exchange rate barely moves.) Prices suddenly start to seem a lot more reasonable when you use the unofficial exchange rate. :p

I unfortunately don't have a dollar account or income so I don't have this "problem" and cannot recommend a place. ;) I've been hoarding the few I have. There's no way I'd give them to the bank unless I couldn't help it.

If you can wait a few months before buying a car, better do so and wait until december to change a significant amount of USD. The blue rate will likely take 10/15% (or maybe more) in one month then, due to the Summer holidays.

Also, january/february (like Summer months in any countries) are months where the potential for bad news (i.e. political decisions with a strong impact) is higher, since people are on holidays. Another reason why the USD could raise in December.

French jurist said:
If you can wait a few months before buying a car, better do so and wait until december to change a significant amount of USD. The blue rate will likely take 10/15% (or maybe more) in one month then, due to the Summer holidays.

Also, january/february (like Summer months in any countries) are months where the potential for bad news (i.e. political decisions with a strong impact) is higher, since people are on holidays. Another reason why the USD could raise in December.

The Blue rate has come down 74 cents to $6,05 since June. Your Crystal ball says the blue rate will go up :confused: 10 to 15 % Hope your ball is correct.:D

snowwhitebum said:
Yes, it sounds a bit cloak and dagger to me.

The plan was to change enough to buy a car, however, the idea of walking up and down Florida looking for a whispering money changer is somewhat off putting.

I think ill stick to the ATM for now, if we decide to go ahead and buy a car i'd feel a lot more comfortable negotiating a better rate for my Euro's with the Fiat salesman rather than someone imitating a crack dealer in Dam square.

Yes, well, that makes a lot of sense. And who knows? You could do some comparison exchange-shopping, along with comparison car-shopping, so that you get the best rate and the best car, given the circumstances.

Good luck!

Rich One said:
The Blue rate has come down 74 cents to $6,05 since June. Your Crystal ball says the blue rate will go up :confused: 10 to 15 % Hope your ball is correct.:D

Could be wrong (otherwise I'd be damn rich!), but last month raise was due to Winter vacations + aguinaldo. The same cause producing the same effect... Could start raising in november though.

Would be nice to forecast a bit the fluctuations of the dollar blue on the forum, helpful for everybody.

Anyway, many things can happen meanwhile...:p

Back