Best Place to SKi

I've skied Las Leñas, Catedral, and Penetentes on the road to Chile from Mendoza just before the Paso Christo. I liked Las Leñas the best of those three but the others are definitely not "bad."

If you ski off-piste there are some killer runs on the back-side of Penetentes that you can hike to, as well as some couloirs west from Manzano, Mendoza towards Chile. You'll want a guide for that trip. Just be aware that if you go off-piste here and get in trouble there isn't much of an organized rescue operation. They pretty much write you off unless the TV cameras are there, and they'll make it look like they are doing a lot work.

That being said I've telemarked couloirs here that had my adrenaline running for days afterward. The Argentine ski guides are some of the best skiers I've ever been with.

Hope this helps.

What's Las Leñas like? I've heard varying things about how difficult/interesting the terrain is. I skied at Portillo in Chile a few years back, and loved it, but wondering if it's worth discovering a new mountain.

I would definitely recommend going. We went in August and got dumped on - 1.5m in 3 days. Was spectacular! I thought the terrain was interesting. Reminds me of Most of the on-piste skiing was up to advanced. If you want expert there are hikable runs. That's the way I'd do it if I was going again. Really depends on your ability. Reminded me a lot of Banff, BC.

Bottom line: Even if you are an expert skier you'll still find challenging terrain on-piste.

Thanks. I've been skiing since I was 3, and my boyfriend is an intermediate skier, so looking for something to keep up both entertained.

Is there anyway to do Leñas with out breaking the bank. I mean a week for less than $1000 dollars.

PhilipDT said:
Is there anyway to do Leñas with out breaking the bank. I mean a week for less than $1000 dollars.

It was possible last winter, but had probally a lot to do with the ceniza

I am after some advice from those in the know regarding Las Leñas, we are keen to head down some time during the season (probably August / September) and swing by Mendoza which I havent got to yet while we are at it. Probably looking to spend 2 weeks there if we can find a reasonable priced hostel

Does anyone have any experience with reasonably priced hostels around the area and any recommendations? The ones at the resort look pretty pricey.

And does anyone have any idea of prices of ski passes? Either my internet or the web site is having some tech problems because cant seem to open up the tarifas PDF.

Thanks.

Back