Best Restaurant in BA

Ahh...For more adventurous diners, I've also heard good things about Sukiyaki. Its Japanese cuisine (traditional, not so much sushi) and apparently the owner (an eccentric, grumpy old Japanese guy) cooks you what he wants and charges you what he wants (usually about 200/300 pesos for 2). Apparently it's quite the bizarre experience but excellent quality food. I've never been because the cooking what he wants aspect is probably going to clash with my vegetarianism, but I'd be really interested on hearing other peoples' experiences.

What I heard from a very famous chef in Buenos Aires that has his own program at Gourmet.com is that one of the best restaurants is Oviedo if not the best.
Just an opinion
Reina

French jurist said:
French is not a synonim of quality, but the best in my view is "Le Sud", located in hotel Sofitel in Recoleta. It's expensive (expect 700/800 pesos for two) but the new Chef is Olivier Falchi who was for ten years "the" Chef at La Bourgogne (mentionned by Katti).

He won numerous prizes including the one of the mejor Chef of all latin America (!).

thnx I didn't know that - last time we went to le sud (maybe 5 years ago) it was soso...

One of our Argentine friends said TOMO I is the best, but you should make a reservation long ahead as it is always fully booked. Haven't been there yet...

We went to A222 in the Comega building, quite good (although not the best), quite pricy (we had the menu, 150 pesos per person) but the views are splendid...

katti said:
thnx I didn't know that - last time we went to le sud (maybe 5 years ago) it was soso...

Five years ago I believe the Chef was Thierry Pzonka or a name like this.
Sad you found it so-so, and since the quality in such restaurants should be stable, it may be a matter of personal taste

I've been to Tomo 1 a few times as a guest - they had menus without prices for "the ladies". It's that kind of place.

It's all a question of taste for sure. So I hate to contradict what people though was good. However, we went to La Vineria de Gualterio Bolivar and we were extremely disappointed. I won't say it was bad. It's just not up to standard for that type of cooking. This is an expensive high category restaurant and some of the dishes didn't even come out "right". In Europe/US these dishes "gone wrong" would not have been served. I think that is not acceptable for the standard, price and style they set themselves up at. It's a "molecular" restaurant. If you can't get the thing to work, there's a problem. Anyway, if it were cheaper (like 1/2 price!) I'd recommend it. At this price point, uhmm, no, not worth the money.

La Cabrera is still good in my opinion. But yes, the last time we went, there were only tourists there. So, if I were a tourist it won't go. But since I live here I don't mind. Last time we went we sat next to a table of really fun Brazilians. And as Ashley said you need to ask for the "hot" sides. I'm not sure that's a bad thing though. It really IS so much food that last time I went I just asked for the pure and not the whole thing set up. The cold one always come on the side. If they don't I think it's a mistake.

I also like Crizia, Cluny, Sete Bacco, Astrid y Gascon, Francesco, & Sarkis.

The ones on our list to try are Pura Tierra, Sirop, Thyme & Sucre. I'd like to go to Tegui. My husband went and said it was good. But not great. Any comments on those I'd love to hear.

Oh, and there is a small restaurant owned by a French guy. I won't say the food is "French" necessarily. I guess it "Med" . But it was really yummy. It's called A Nos Amour on Araoz & about Goritti.

Back