Best Restaurant in BA

Astrid + Gaston - really good...love the place..the ambience and the food!!!
Pura tierra make it your next choice....you wont regret it..the owner is a well known chef....Martin Molteni...he is there most of the times...

mini said:
It's all a question of taste for sure. So I hate to contradict what people though was good. However, we went to La Vineria de Gualterio Bolivar and we were extremely disappointed. I won't say it was bad. It's just not up to standard for that type of cooking. This is an expensive high category restaurant and some of the dishes didn't even come out "right". In Europe/US these dishes "gone wrong" would not have been served. I think that is not acceptable for the standard, price and style they set themselves up at. It's a "molecular" restaurant. If you can't get the thing to work, there's a problem. Anyway, if it were cheaper (like 1/2 price!) I'd recommend it. At this price point, uhmm, no, not worth the money.
mini said:
Wow...that sucks! I've only been once but everything came out perfectly and I'd love to go back - I also recommended it to a couple of people who were also blown away. Maybe they were having a bad day when you went...though for that price, they can't really afford to have a bad day!

According to an article in LaNacion on Gastronomica Molecular...you can find it in: Moreno Restaurante, Vinería de Gualterio Bolívar, el Bistró + Cava (Hotel Faena + Universe) y Aramburu Restó.
Incluso coexiste una propuesta en la que se puede degustar este tipo de gastronomía, tanto en eventos empresariales como en reuniones o fiestas. Los diferentes menús son realizados por la empresa de catering Cuk3. La idea de este equipo de trabajo, conformado por dos chefs y una bióloga molecular, es ofrecer técnicas de cocina molecular en formato finger food.
Anyone tried any one of these to recommend?

French jurist said:
Five years ago I believe the Chef was Thierry Pzonka or a name like this.
Sad you found it so-so, and since the quality in such restaurants should be stable, it may be a matter of personal taste

It was in 2003 (so more then 5 years :eek: how time flies) and my husband had to send his food back although I really don't remember why...
I don't think that was a matter of taste. (although generally taste does matter)

Another vote for Pura Tierra. Not only is it excellent, but it is consistent. A rarity in this town. Been going there for 3+ years and it is as good as it has always been. The prices are fair and the service is excellent. In fact the staff is mostly the same as it was when I first started going there.

As far as the 'molecular restaurants,' El Bistro used to be extremely expensive and worth it, but not anymore. The quality has declined and it is now just extremely expensive. Moreno is quite good. Vinería de Gualterio Bolívar shows a lot of promise but doesn't quite deliver.

(Slightly off topic but anyone into 'molecular' or any other kind of food should check out http://modernistcuisine.com . Promises to be an AMAZING book)

Mangiata in Caballito is possibly my favorite restaurant in town. Very much "neighborhoody," best pastas in the city (and I'm not a pasta person, generally). I recommend the homemade fettuccine with salsa crema (NOT to be confused with salsa blanca). Delicious delicious delicious. All plates are for sharing. I've have the meat only once, and it had good flavor but was overcooked, so be sure and tell them how to cook it. Still, I recommend sticking with the pastas in this place. Yummmmmy. And additionally, they have pretty good service! No $500 meals here! Get a free member card and 10% discount every day, 20% Dom-Martes! They also do something called a Pizzanesa, which is, you guessed it, a huge pizza-sized milanesa with all the normal pizza topping options. I've not tried it, but I'm sure it is actually pretty good...

Ashley said:
Wow...that sucks! I've only been once but everything came out perfectly and I'd love to go back - I also recommended it to a couple of people who were also blown away. Maybe they were having a bad day when you went...though for that price, they can't really afford to have a bad day!

That's exactly what I thought. Can't have a bad day at that price. LOL. But like I said, it wasn't -bad- just not up to standard. There were 6 of us who went and we all left a bit underwhelmed. Shame really. It was a while ago though. Maybe they got their act together. When did you go?

Thanks, Valerie, Pura Terra is definately next on the list! I can't wait actually! (Now I'm hungry).

Valerie M said:
According to an article in LaNacion on Gastronomica Molecular...you can find it in: Moreno Restaurante, Vinería de Gualterio Bolívar, el Bistró + Cava (Hotel Faena + Universe) y Aramburu Restó.
Incluso coexiste una propuesta en la que se puede degustar este tipo de gastronomía, tanto en eventos empresariales como en reuniones o fiestas. Los diferentes menús son realizados por la empresa de catering Cuk3. La idea de este equipo de trabajo, conformado por dos chefs y una bióloga molecular, es ofrecer técnicas de cocina molecular en formato finger food.
Anyone tried any one of these to recommend?

As we mentioned above, both Ashley & I tried Vineria. She loved it. I though "needs improvement".

Haven't tried the others. I did have a couple of friends from Europe who ate at El Bistro. They thought it was good. But were quite shocked by the price. If Europeans with good salaries are shocked with the price, that means it's -totally & completely- out of my budget! lol. (or I should say :( )

I agree - I've eaten at El Bistro at Faena and I was..underwhelmed. It is on the pricey side - entrees are about 120 a person and starters are 70 or 80. Throw in some wine and it's a very expensive dinner and I though the food was good but certainly not amazing.

I had a very good meal at Sirop on my birthday.

Back