Best Wines?

tomdesigns

Registered
One thing about Argentina that I really enjoy is the price and quality of wine here.

I have few in the 50 to 100 pesos range..

Salentien Cabernet Reserva - Simply Incredible for the money if you ask me.

Guido Cabernet (I might have spelled that wrong) - Another incredible.. for price.. bottle of wine.

Both go for around 60 pesos.

Almost any Torrontes grape wine. It's a relatively new white wine from Argetnina. I'm not much of a drinker at all, but I love this stuff.

I can highly recommend a great red,Tierra Inti Pulcu malbec (around AR 65)...I know Nigel at 0800-Vino stocks it (I bought the last two bottles today, but I'm sure he will have some soon)

marcopolo said:
I can highly recommend a great red,Tierra Inti Pulcu malbec (around AR 65)...I know Nigel at 0800-Vino stocks it (I bought the last two bottles today, but I'm sure he will have some soon)

Hmmm sometimes I like the Malbecs.. Sometimes they are a bit strong for taste. Would you say this one is strong or more mellow?

I highly recommend St. Felicien, the bi-varietales are simply scrumptious, Cabernet-Merlot, Syrah, the Malbec is delicious too, if you can get your hands on some 2006 vintage that was a banner year.......

Reactions: tez
Davidglen77 said:
I highly recommend St. Felicien, the bi-varietales are simply scrumptious, Cabernet-Merlot, Syrah, the Malbec is delicious too, if you can get your hands on some 2006 vintage that was a banner year.......

The St. Felicien is usually cheaper at the Chinos by a LOT, but you can usually only find 2-3 years back.

It's cheaper because Catena Zapata sells all of their wines to the Chinos in bulk and en negro, so the Chinos can resell it at about a 20%-30% discount over the super markets or wine stores.

Check out the list from tonight's expat wine tasting. Lots of good wines.

PhilipDT said:
Check out the list from tonight's expat wine tasting. Lots of good wines.

How was the 2006 Tapiz Black Tears? I have seen that before but never tried it.

tomdesigns said:
Hmmm sometimes I like the Malbecs.. Sometimes they are a bit strong for taste. Would you say this one is strong or more mellow?

It is quite a light malbec...but with lots of berry taste..sorry, that's as far as my current wine vocab goes.

I have been on a bit of a mission to sample great Argentine wines and if I can give you any advice it definitely would be to look beyond the tired old range of wines you find on supermarket shelves.

Have a look through the forum and you will find plenty of recommendations for where to buy high quality boutique wines at much better prices, and with a service that matches wines to your palette.

marcopolo said:
It is quite a light malbec...but with lots of berry taste..sorry, that's as far as my current wine vocab goes.

I have been on a bit of a mission to sample great Argentine wines and if I can give you any advice it definitely would be to look beyond the tired old range of wines you find on supermarket shelves.

Have a look through the forum and you will find plenty of recommendations for where to buy high quality boutique wines at much better prices, and with a service that matches wines to your palette.

Hmmm I will give that whirl...

Back