Big Head Bills

This is the location where I have been exchanging US$100's "cara grande" for a number of years.
WU/Pago Facil ....Av. Scalabrini Ortiz 2354....between Guemes and Charcas
Open Mon-Fri....10:00am-5:00pm. Best time to exchange is 12:00-3:00pm.
Boy, everyone agrees that I'm wrong. Except my wife. She's been with me many times, pulling out the small heads and taking them to the cuevas. At least now I know where to sell the big heads (thanks Graceille).

You guys are pranking me on this right?

These are two that were rejected today.

PXL_20240115_235006581.jpg

Boy, everyone agrees that I'm wrong. Except my wife. She's been with me many times, pulling out the small heads and taking them to the cuevas. At least now I know where to sell the big heads (thanks Graceille).

Everything I ever read before I recently came to Argentina said do NOT bring "small head" bills (1996 and older). Many cuevas either won't accept them at all, or at a significantly reduced rate. Only bring the new "big head" bills, preferably with the blue stripe/ribbon (which would be anything made between October 2013 and 2024). Also, in clean and crisp condition with no markings, stamps, or tears of any kind. If a cueva has somehow convinced you that the newer "big head" bills are worth less money (or nothing at all), than I hate to say it, but they are lying and they've taken advantage of you. The big head bills are the gold standard here and any cueva that says otherwise I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole. And yes, I am a gambling man and I would gladly bet money that if I started a poll of BAExpats users, big head bills would win the vote by a landslide.

If you are near Calle Florida, there are cuevas everywhere and their representatives (arbolitos) will be shouting "cambio!" left and right looking for foreigners who need to exchange money. When I first got here I would just approach several of them and ask what the current rate is until I found one I was happy with. They'll walk with you inside and will usually have a safe room with a counting machine where the exchange takes place. After doing this several times, I gathered enough business cards and WhatsApp numbers to message ahead of time and see what the current rates are. The cueva I've used most often is called Cambio All Express (WhatsApp +54 9 11 5635-5439) and is inside Florida 943, kiosk #15. It's across from Starbucks. Last time his rate was 25 pesos per dollar better than a couple of others I sent messages to.

Last edited:
Bottom one looks like it’s got a stain on it so they might knock off 5% or something.
Top one may be marked on the other side?

Anyway those notes are 100% the ones that everyone wants.

You guys are pranking me on this right?

View attachment 9434
Are you only going to one place? What did they say? Very strange. Those are the only bills that the arbolitos really want. Try to keep them in as pristine condition as possible. Flat, no wrinkles and curled edges, no writing on them, etc. Keep them pressed flat in a book, by some similar means.

But those look fine. If you you have problems at gracielle's place, let us know. Someone will take them at full price, unless there's something wrong with them that we're not seeing in the picture. You didn't print them yourself, did you?

Keep them pressed flat in a book...

^ this is what I do when I go to Colonia. I have a thick paperback book and before leaving the bank I stick the $100 bills in the book, one every 50 pages or so. Keeps the money flat and crisp, and if I happen to get robbed I'm hoping the book will be overlooked or ignored. The book never leaves my side or sight while I'm in Colonia or on the ferry, and when I get back to BA I immediately take a non-stop Uber back to my apartment to secure the cash.

Back