Bikram Yoga

Hi Annie! I saw you are coming here to BA (if you aren't already) and I'm interested in taking some Bikram yoga classes. Your email address doesn't seem to be working - do you think you could send me some information about your studio/practice?
[email protected].

thanks!
Christina

I am a certified Bikram Yoga instructor. There is a studio opening here in less than a month. This studio will be run by certified Bikram teachers in good standing with Bikram Choudhurry, the guru and creator of Bikram yoga and the only person who is legally allowed to use the name or give use of it to others.

I've checked this site outhttp://www.yogatei.com.ar/. I don't know if the poses they show on the site are from the classes they call Bikram, but they are not Bikram yoga poses and the person doing them doesn't seem to be practicing in the heat.

Bikram yoga is a specific series of 26 EXACT postures. There is NO straying from the "prescription" as Bikram calls it, or it's not Bikram yoga. The website does say the classes are kept at the appropriate temperature. Any teacher who teaches at a non certified studio is in danger of losing their certification. Much more importantly than that, is whether or not they are teaching the yoga according to Bikram's teachings.

Many people struggle with the idea of Bikram yoga in the global yoga community. People think he is too rigid and that the series not ever changing is boring. I won't enter into that argument because it is a matter of personal taste. What I will say is that if you want to use Mr. Choudhurry's name you should teach the yoga the way he designed and teaches it. If you don't do that, call it something else, hot yoga, or something.

I;ll be sure to post when and where when the studio is open.
Peace...

Ashley,

I tried emailing you and the email bounced back. I have been living in BA 10 months, looking for a studio and am desperate to take classes--oh how I miss my yoga high! Please let me know if you indeed have a studio.

Mil Gracias
Remy
[email protected]

There is a real live Bikram studio here that opened in August of 2009! It is on Avenida Las Heras 3541. This is their site: www.byba.com.ar.

yes, byba opened recently. I am currently using my free 1 week pass. They have an interesting policy, if you purchase one class (at 55 pesos) the first time, you can attend for a week, as long as you don't stop. If you stop one day during that week, you loose it. I am not sure I completely like that, but it has motivated me to go for 5 days now.

It is very expensive, 580 pesos a month to be exact (and you can go as often as you want), but that is triple what a normal yoga studio charges in the same area, so be prepared to spend money if you go there, even for water, they charge 2 pesos to refill a bottle of water!

I can't compare the teachers with others since I've only done normal yoga before. I like the fact that it is hot, it helps relax my muscles, but I am not sold on the idea that every class with every teacher is identical. By the way, they have classes in English at 1:30 PM.

Back