Blacks in Argentina

jvwh3b

Registered
Good Evening. I think I answered a similar question, but let me pose it again. Are there a number of Blacks living in Argentina or just a very few here-and-there? When I was there in 1994 for a week, I think I saw a fellow at the train station, a diplomat's son and a group of folk dancers on La Avenida de Cinco de Mayo (Am I spelling that correctly?)

The reason why I'm asking is I am retired and am looking for a location in which to spend the New York winters. I've traveled in many countries, can make myself understood in Spanish but would feel better in a place that at least some African people are. Oh yes, before there's an onslaught of people telling me that "people are people;" I do realize that, but as humans we all tend to gravitate toward the familiar.

Thanks for any info, and Happy Holidays.

There are very few blacks in Argentina, though there are quite a few people of mixed race (a mix of indigenous and European). You might feel more comfortable in Brazil. The black population there may be the largest of any country in the world. Winters are milder than Argentina's, beaches far better and the people more friendly and less snobbish.

Well, if you're looking for a place to spend northern hemisphere winters (between November and February, for example), I would probably recommend against Brazil. Buenos Aires has the potential to be very hot during January and February (it's been pretty tolerable thus far), but Brazil is going to be a lot warmer.

Thanks for the insight. I've been to both BA and Rio in the summer (in the Southern Hemisphere), and liked both places. Although at first glance, BA seemed to be less frantic than Rio and at my stage of the game, I need more quiet and less noise. But, on the other hand, I did feel quite at home in Rio and it would give me the opportunity to investigate other parts of Brasil.

Right now, as we speak, we are in the midst of the season's first snowstorm, and it ain't pretty. I should have had this conversation some months ago and been out of here by now.

Thanks again.

jvwh3b said:
Thanks for the insight. I've been to both BA and Rio in the summer (in the Southern Hemisphere), and liked both places. Although at first glance, BA seemed to be less frantic than Rio and at my stage of the game, I need more quiet and less noise. But, on the other hand, I did feel quite at home in Rio and it would give me the opportunity to investigate other parts of Brasil.

Right now, as we speak, we are in the midst of the season's first snowstorm, and it ain't pretty. I should have had this conversation some months ago and been out of here by now.

Thanks again.

There are also smaller cities in Brazil that might be interesting. I agree, it is worth exploring.

Brazil has beautiful beaches. You can not compare that environment to urban BA in January! If the writer wants a greater racial mix he will find it in Brazil, not Argentina. Rio is just one place. Brazil is a huge country with many towns and cities to choose from.

Uruguay also has a stable black population - and it is safer than Brazil

People will just be people? People are not the same everywhere. BA is more liberal than the provinces of Argentina and a lot more conservative than some other parts of the world. Would an interracial couple be stared at and talked about in Brazil? I doubt it.

Back