"blue" sterling rate or best to bring dollars?

Flay

Registered
Hello.
I'm from the UK and I'll be heading back to Buenos Aires at the end of the year. It's been 12 months since I was last there so I've not had the parallel exchange rate to deal with before. Now I'm wondering what will be the best way of bringing money into the country with me.

Does anyone know if there is any point in bringing UK pounds sterling? I mean, is it easy enough to find "cuevas" interested in buying sterling and does there exist any such thing as a "blue" sterling rate that could make changing pounds in BA an attractive option, or would I be best advised to change my money here and bring US dollars to BA?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Dollar opens most doors, other currencies less so.
Traditionally, people's saviings are/were in dollars. Our economy used dollars as currency for a few years so the notes are familiar to us.

Save yourself some trouble, bring Dead Presidents.

I agree with the previous poster, you wont find many people who want to pay a blue rate for pounds, there probably isnt even a recognised blue rate for the £.

Better to bring dollars which are universally loved and cherished much more than close family members !

Always USD!

I'm about to make my first trip back to Blighty for over 3 years and am having trouble even finding GBP - none of the cuevas have them for sale, which makes me think they're also not buying them....and if they do, they'll probably offer below the official rate, not a 'blue' rate!

Back