Bogota Colombia

pericles said:
It seems like Colombia is a beautiful place to visit especially the district near Armenia sounds excellent.

Anyone been to Armenia, Manizales in the Quindio region of Colombia . I like to hear your reports.

Colombia is indeed a gorgeous place to visit. Green green green, interesting architecture, varied scenery, superfriendly people, and nice food (*amazing* variety of fruit). I spent 5 weeks there last year, from the Ecuador border, to Popayan, Cali, Salento (Zona Cafetera), Manizales, Bogota, Medellin, Cartagena, & Taganga/Tayrona (completing my 4 month trip from Ushuaia all the way to the Caribe in bus!). And I'll be back.

Salento and the Zona Cafetera are stunningly beautiful, as is Parque Tayrona on the Caribbean. Cartagena is interesting and a beauty in its own way, but supertouristy & a bit seedy. I seriously considered (and still consider) spending several months living in Medellin: neat foothills setting, "eternal spring" climate, buena onda, chicas lindas... Que mas?? :)

Guys with machine guns got on my later-than-advised bus from Popayan to Cali, but they were wearing the right uniforms! :) Never felt unsafe, but was always alert (well, other than when lazing around Taganga...).

Saludos,
Mike

I am flying Avianca to Buenos Aires in a few weeks, and will have a 10-hour daytime layover in Bogota. Does anyone have any recommendations of sights to see, or restaurants to try, while I pass the time? Additionally, is the city accessible by public transportation from the airport, or should I plan on cabbing it?

Thanks,
Kimberly

Colombia sounds fantastic and everyone agrees its worth visiting. I thank Deby novitz for her excellent posts on the country and its people.

starlucia said:
I am flying Avianca to Buenos Aires in a few weeks, and will have a 10-hour daytime layover in Bogota. Does anyone have any recommendations of sights to see, or restaurants to try, while I pass the time? Additionally, is the city accessible by public transportation from the airport, or should I plan on cabbing it?

Thanks,
Kimberly

Kimberly,

Sounds like you need a more general travel site since (as this thread demonstrates), the Colombia knowledge here is limited.

Here are 3 I know:

www.virtualtourist.com
www.bootsnall.com
www.lonelyplanet.com

I like to thank the members who sent me emails about Colombia . All described a very beautiful country and people. I like to give a special thanks to Steve for his photos below.

Attachments

• barichara colombia.jpg
    barichara colombia.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 5
  • cera palms 200 years old.jpg
    cera palms 200 years old.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 5
dsc said:
Kimberly,

Sounds like you need a more general travel site since (as this thread demonstrates), the Colombia knowledge here is limited.

Here are 3 I know:

www.virtualtourist.com
www.bootsnall.com
www.lonelyplanet.com

I was trying to find this site yesterday (in my oodles of bookmarks) but had difficulties:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294074-i3499-Bogota.html

Trip Advisor actually has a little forum for each city, country, etc where one can ask questions for each destination.

Might fit the bill..

I've been to Colombia three times in the last two years. Always enjoyed myself and apart from some barrios on the inner cities of Bogotå and Medellin, have always felt perfectly safe. I always travelled on long distance buses and never had any problems. There are a lot of beautiful small towns I'd recommend. Zipaquirå near Bogota has some amazing salt mines, around Medellin has Marinilla, El Peñol, Rionegro, Retiro and Santa Fe de Antioquia. All small towns that can be visited by local bus. A great way to see some of the local life and you don't have to spend a lot of money!

Over on the other side of the country Girøn is a beautiful small town, then on back towards Bogota I'd recommend stopping off in San Gil and taking a day trip to Barichara, another beautiful old town. Its pretty hilly, and the streets have these wonderful slabs of stone. No tarmac there. From there I went to Tunja and Villa de Leyva on the way back to Bogota. I did all this by bus and spent a few days in these places, although I have the luxury of plenty of time.

Last July I was in Armenia and had a few days in Salento, Finlandia and thereabouts in the zona de cafe. From Salento I went in a local jeep, a common form of transport for the locals, up to the Valle de Cocora, where they have the wonderful Palma de Ceros, the world's tallest palm.

Between the cities the country is wonderful, lush and green, and the people generally incredibly friendly. Speak a little spanish and you'll have a whale of a time.

Reactions: dsc
Forgot to mention Cartagena, more Caribbean than Colombian. A wonderful world heritage site. The old town is where to stay. A great place for walking.

Lot of good detailed info there, Steve, thx.

I'll be saving it as I'll likely check out Colombia in the next 1-3 years.

Did you go to Barranquilla also?

If not, I imagine it's probably like Cartgena in a lot of respects since it's relatively close by.

Back