Boise, Idaho anyone?

He is making fun of you.

But seriously, if you want to stay away from coastal areas, are looking for a city with some culture and a real winter, Chicago is the only place to be. After living in Buenos Aires, you won't last in any other place for more than two weeks.
lol I know what the boonies are but Boone does exist :p

just be aware the extreme right is very prevalent. not sure but think the bundes live there. stay to yourself and enjoy the countryside. good luck. great place to ski and fish. really down to earth people and dont like the federal government.
Don't be negative with this political talk. If she goes, I'm sure she will find kind people no matter their politics. Staying by yourself is a bad idea. Do you do that in BsAs?

I know it is not exactly cosmopolite, I have yet to go visit first. We are looking forma safe suburban area or medium sized city, with all 4 seasons, safe and with career opportunities. I have been wanting to leave the city for a long time, and as sad as it sounds, I don't feel safe in the outskirts and don't want to do the gated neighborhood life. I also started to consider the effects that global warming will have in coastal areas, and as I mentioned earlier, water contamination seems to be a problem in many places. My DH moved here 20 years ago because I had to take care of my family, sadly they are now all gone, so I guess it is only fair to spend some time in the US where he still has family and friends. It is not out of the menu keeping property here or returning for retirement. We don't take advantage of what this city ( or any other ) have to offer ( restaurants, theaters, nightlife, public transportation, etc ) because we mainly like to go camping, outdoors, etc.
You are the most sane, interesting and helpful person on this forum. If you leave, please keep posting.

Because we have a recent example of a new poster with a sensitive nose and from a small town finding herself subject to a pack mentality from the very start and seemingly being bullied off the site.

I met some people from Idaho 30 years ago, before the first (and often only) thing people could think to tell you about a place was whether it was red or blue. They told me they were proud potato farmers. I learned something. So far, through six substantive replies here, I havent learned anything particularly new about Boise except that Idaho is red.

As was predicable and predicted in this case, the majority of posts do not add any value and are political in nature, which (equally predictably) turns out to be if little interest to the OP.

If the knee jerk politicizing of every conversation could stop, it would be easier to encourage people to join the site and contribute.
You are right. I have only passed through Idaho but I will wager that there are many kind people there - I think a lot more hospitable people than in a "liberal" metro area on the East Coast of the US.

He is making fun of you.

But seriously, if you want to stay away from coastal areas, are looking for a city with some culture and a real winter, Chicago is the only place to be. After living in Buenos Aires, you won't last in any other place for more than two weeks.
High crime rate, corrupt government. People are leaving for more hospitable, better run cities/states.

I know it is not exactly cosmopolite, I have yet to go visit first. We are looking forma safe suburban area or medium sized city, with all 4 seasons, safe and with career opportunities. I have been wanting to leave the city for a long time, and as sad as it sounds, I don't feel safe in the outskirts and don't want to do the gated neighborhood life. I also started to consider the effects that global warming will have in coastal areas, and as I mentioned earlier, water contamination seems to be a problem in many places. My DH moved here 20 years ago because I had to take care of my family, sadly they are now all gone, so I guess it is only fair to spend some time in the US where he still has family and friends. It is not out of the menu keeping property here or returning for retirement. We don't take advantage of what this city ( or any other ) have to offer ( restaurants, theaters, nightlife, public transportation, etc ) because we mainly like to go camping, outdoors, etc.

Why Boise exactly?

We are looking forma safe suburban area or medium sized city, with all 4 seasons, safe and with career opportunities.

There are many areas in the US that match this description.

Why Boise exactly?

There are many areas in the US that match this description.
I was looking at some articles about " best cities to live in the US " and I am not a big fan of Florida's tropical weather, NC I really like but came up with bad news on water contamination, California is just too expensive, etc. I have friends from school living in Florida, Los Angeles, Connecticut, DC, Ohio and have been getting some insight but don't know anybody in Idaho. My husband has friends in NJ, Montana, Arkansas and NC, so we are trying to come up with a short list of places to explore ( we have a 12 yo boy )

I'm a PNW native. Lived all over the region. Sherwood/Newberg, Oregon are what you're looking for. Has the best mix of everything. I still spend several months a year there though I primarily live in Taiwan and rural Japan.

I was looking at some articles about " best cities to live in the US " and I am not a big fan of Florida's tropical weather, NC I really like but came up with bad news on water contamination, California is just too expensive, etc. I have friends from school living in Florida, Los Angeles, Connecticut, DC, Ohio and have been getting some insight but don't know anybody in Idaho. My husband has friends in NJ, Montana, Arkansas and NC, so we are trying to come up with a short list of places to explore ( we have a 12 yo boy )
I live in Boulder CO when Iḿ not down here. Its gotten very expensive, and for years I told people they should consider Boise because it has a lot of the charm (university, small city layout, surrounded by beautiful nature) and at the time it was maybe half the price. I think a lot of people realized it, and went there during the pandemic when remote work enabled people to escape the cities. So now its less of a bargain. They have a nice little tango scene, some hep spots, some ethnic restaurants, and because its a college town, more culture than normal in a city that size.The summer weather was glorious, but I imagine winter is long. I actually found it more charming than Boulder (this is maybe 6 years back), but lacking the urban escape hatch of Denver. Once you are there, the nearest city is Salt lake (4.5 hours driving) or Portland (6.5). The question of being a blue dot in a sea of red (politically speaking) means, for instance, abortion is illegal from the moment of fertilization. Oh and you have the Aryan Nation and the Patriot front with a strong presence in the state, though not in Boise. Its interesting but a bit remote feeling, culturally its a bit of an island. It would be an extreme change from BA. Was South Bend Indiana on the list? I had a good feeling from that place, and its close to Chicago.

Back