Bolsonaro potential new president of Brazil serious implications

1) It is unlikely that Brazil would turn into a dictatorship from either the left or the right. Unlike Venezuela or even Argentina, Brazil has much stronger and more independent institutions, like the judiciary and the Congress. If it was up to Lula and Dilma, they would have followed the Chavez model of government when they were ruling the country. They did not because the institutions and laws would not let them. Today, the actual power of a Brazilian president is very limited.
Which brings us to Bolsonaro. He might have the votes to be elected, but he lacks legislative support to rule. His party is minuscule and none of the traditional politicians (who have legislative base) wanted to be his vice-president. If elected, he will be a lame duck president (as far as Congress is concerned) from the get go. And he needs Congress to approve budgets and to execute policies in general.

2) Could Bolsonaro pull off a coup? Unlikely. The top military brass DETESTS him. He was a low level officer (Captain) who was booted from the army for insubordination. The current military leadership wants nothing to do with politics and they are very open and public about it. Without the Military and the support of the mainstream politicians, he cannot ever hope to pull off a coup.

3) He is popular because he is an outsider, a fringe politician. After 14 years of PT (left wing) rule, with the biggest corruption scandal in the country's history and with most mainstream politicians somewhat implicated, people wanted something different. They found him.

The thing is- he doesn't need congress, military, etc because he's like an Uribe, Fujimori, Ortega, that guy in Honduras who I can't remember & probably many others. Politically he is an outsider but he has deep connections & respect in the underworld, in places like Brazil this is what matters. Brazilian military is a joke, he doesn't need or want them, but Brazilian paramilitary groups are for real and he represents, possibly even commands, them. He'll have the state turn a blind eye to the milicias (most of those guys are military/police rejects like himself), giving them free reign to impose order & control in the streets, as they're currently trying to. He will replicate in Brazil what is already in place in much of Latin America - parallel power structures in the absence/incompetence of the state.

I don't think you understand much about Brazil based on your comments.

1 - He will fix the pension crisis, the budget deficit crisis, the lack of job crisis and all otheter problems faced the country with the militias? How does that work? Brazil is not Honduras, Peru or Colombia. It has a large urban middle class that wants those middle class issues solved. He can't solve those issues with militias nor can he sustain himself politically without addressing those issues. To address those issues he will need Congress, he will need state governors and he will need the judiciary. He has none of those.
The past administration had a lot more bodies on the ground in the form of peasant movements and unions in order to organize militias to keep themselves into power and even they could not do it. Bolsonaro is a nobody. A local Rio politician with no national political connections and from a microscopic party. Your suggestion is completely outside of the reality of Brazil today.
2 - The Brazilian military is not a joke. It is the most respected, trusted and reverred public institution in the country by a wide margin. Only someone who has little knowledge of Brazil and it's political landscape would make such a statement.

1. Most of Brazil is not Ipanema or Floripa - it's chaos. Average Brazilian isn't waking up saying "cara... that pension crisis and budget deficit has me so worried...", they just want to be able to walk outside without having a machete or pistol in their face, which most can't.

- Watch this video by an ex Brazilian cop (and aspiring politician) who explains my point better than I can. I don't agree with his anti-police sentiment, but he speaks of the realities in Brazil I've explained - public support of the milicia, extreme divide in both military & civilian police creating the rise of ruthless paramilitary groups that shadow the state, etc. Frankly, unless you've done business there you'd probably not know about how things really work & who's really in charge, as they stay in the shadows as much as possible.

2. Well, I did live in Brazil longer than I care to remember, & I got the impression the Brazilian military is for the most part half fed conscripts who barley read or write desperate to escape poverty, since most urban Brazilians aren't drafted, but we all have different opinions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ffaf6d422aa_story.html?utm_term=.06cbf9422015

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...878f96be19b_story.html?utm_term=.9e8ca2ef5fb0

How can Brazil lurch from the left to the extreme right so quickly ? Brazil commentators please explain what is happening here . The election of Bolsonaro has extreme implications for Argentina due to the military strength of Brazil . the possible invasion of Venezuela with Brazils support ( impossible under a left wing government) and other issues . .

To be frank I have found the rise of this canditate to now the possible winner of Brazils election very suprising as Brazil has always been centre left and with his very controversial views regarding race. woman , and gay people I did not believe he would have a chance but now its likely he will be Brazils next president .

I like to hear other views on this very important development.

Simple. There was a coup ;)

Who would invade Venezuela and why? Maybe if oil goes above $100 someone might invade. But until then I don't see it as a possibility.

Who would invade Venezuela and why? Maybe if oil goes above $100 someone might invade. But until then I don't see it as a possibility.
Poorsoul Iraq was invaded on a lie by western powers as was Afghanistan. There is a very strong possiblity that Venezuela will have military intervention soon.

Poorsoul Iraq was invaded on a lie by western powers as was Afghanistan. There is a very strong possiblity that Venezuela will have military intervention soon.

Those countries had oil to offer. Venezuelas oil is expensive to extract and refine. That is why it needs $100+ per barrel to justify a war.

1. Most of Brazil is not Ipanema or Floripa - it's chaos. Average Brazilian isn't waking up saying "cara... that pension crisis and budget deficit has me so worried...", they just want to be able to walk outside without having a machete or pistol in their face, which most can't.

I think this comment shows how out of touch with the country you are.
Yes, crime and safety is a huge issue in Brazil, and that cannot be overstated enough. But that is still ONE issue in the midst of many other serious problems. Yes, the average Brazilian might not be able to articulate that they worry about budget deficits or the pension crisis. But they do worry a lot about their paycheck keeping up with rising prices. Millions of retirees do worry about getting their retirement check every month. Millions of police officers, public servants, teachers, etc... across the country do worry about getting paid on time when virtually every state in the union is bankrupt and without funds. Those things cannot and will not be solved by militias. To even suggest that is absurd. They will be solved by addressing the budget deficit issue, the pension issue, the labor laws issue. And for that you need Congress and the institutions.If he cannot deliver on that, he is politically doomed, militias or not.

Again, Brazil is not Peru, Venezuela, Colombia or Honduras.
This is the social class setup of Brazil as it stands today (Source):
  • Class A (2.7%): composed of bankers, investors, business owners, major landowners and people with extraordinary skills for the industry they operate in
  • Class B (23.1%): composed of directors and managers, judges, prosecutors, highly educated professors, doctors, well qualified engineers, lawyers, etc
  • Class C (47.5%): composed of those who provide services directly to the wealthier groups, such as teachers, managers, mechanics, electricians, nurses, etc
  • Class D: composed of people who provide services to Class C, such as housemaids, bartenders, bricklayers, people who work for civil construction companies, small store owners, low-paid drivers, etc
  • Class E: composed of people who earn minimum salaries, such as cleaners, street sweepers and also unemployed people
Class A + Class B + Class C comprise over 70% of the Brazilian population. That is middle class and above, and their expectations from the government go well beyond armed militias keeping the peace in barrios. They want stable currency, business and career opportunities, infrastructure, good public services, assurances of retirement, occasional trips to Miami, cable TV, etc...And due to their huge share of votes and political/economic power that comes with it, they are the ones who can make or break any government or regime. They were the reason why Lula and Dilma could not turn Brazil into a Venezuela (they wanted it really bad) and the reason why Bolsonaro will not be able to rule with armed militias (as if he had any).
So no, Bolsonaro will not turn into a dictator ruling via militias. More likely, he will be either a very ineffective president or one that will have to learn to play ball with the existing political establishment in order to get things done.

A real pity that Venezuelans have not only invaded Argentina but now crowd out native Argentines to suck welfare here. No problem, YOU pay for it.

Back