Book Club in Spanish start-up

Hi everyone, I'm interested in book club as well. Thanks for including me on the details!

Hey guys

It looks like we will be doing a combination Book Club kickoff/Burger burn this Saturday or Sunday, out here in Vicente Lopez.

For those who have never been here, there are directions in the thread
http://baexpats.org/expat-events/5092-burgers-burbs-6-14-a.html

The choice of Saturday or Sunday is up to youse guys. Sunday is generally my favorite because there is seldom much else to do, but this Sunday is el Dia del Nino and some folks seem to have other plans, so I'm leaning towards Saturday this time.
Book club meting at 1:00, bbq AROUND 3:30-4:00 ?

How about some feedback and we'll decide tomorrow?

Again, RSVP's are appreciated so I can acquire the appropriate amount of ground vaca. Drinks are up to ya'll, as well as anything else you'd like to bring ( are you there Betts ;-) )

Look forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

Igor - if you are at all up to it, we'd ALL love to see you, even if only for a short visit.If you're not, we certainly undestand, and hope to see you at the proxima!

Saludos a todos!

David

I will try to make it on Saturday or Sunday, though Sunday is better for me because on Saturday I won't be able to make it out until around 4-ish (hence no book club). But we'll see what everyone else says!

There are about 11 of us interested in joining the book club. So thanks and I will begin communicating with all of you as a group by email to select books, times, places. If you don't hear from me shortly, let me know by email to [email protected] or 156197-1446 or here.

But first order of Business is to let CaptDave know how many of you will be going to his place this weekend. He still has to let us know which day--Sat or Sun.

Mike

Hey Guys!

The Book club BBQ meeting is set for Sunday! I apologize to the folks who can't make it, but Sunday works best for most of us, including me!

I suggest the book club start at around 1:30 or 2, and the BBQ will be set for around 3:30/4:00

I look forward to meeting you all, and again, there are instructions for getting here in the previous thread:
http://baexpats.org/expat-events/5092-burgers-burbs-6-14-a.html

I will supply burgers and fixin's, youse guys bring whatever you drink and anything else you want.

Please RSVP here or by PM, so I can have an approximate head count!

Thanksand see ya'll Sunday!

saludos,

David

I've been in touch with those of you who have passed me your emails. If there are more of you interested, please let me know at

[email protected]

The book we'll be discussing is Los Informantes by the Colombian author Juan Gabriel Vasquez.

cheers,

Mike

Hey Mike -- i've still never received an answer on a few questions:

How frequently are you going to be meeting?
Is it always going to be on Sundays at lunch hour?
How many months / weeks per book?
Are you having the professor and how much do they cost? (this makes the cost per book go up quite a bit if you're doing weekly meetings and say 6 weeks a book)

Please let me know, I'd like to be able to come but Sundays is not the easiest day, it would end up having to be a fairly last minute decision every time for me.

Cheers

Sorry not to respond immediately syngirl but I don't know the answer to many of the questions you ask. The idea of having are first meeting this Sunday was a result of the meeting of the small group which were at David's this past Sunday. Since I'm probably off on a trip from next week, it was thought sooner rather than later.

I have no problem in making it during the week either during the day or evening. In fact we could have two meetings one for the weekenders and one for the weekdayers.

Or perhaps one for the discussion group in Spanish and one for the discussion group in English.

My view would be one meeting every second or third week. Try reading contemporary writers from each country -- something like that.

I'm waiting to see how many can come on this coming Sunday--if not enough then we'll postpone till September and try again. May not be enough time to get the book and read it at this late date.

I personally would like to have a Spanish teacher involved, to correct my most common mistakes and lead the discussion but some have objected to that so we'll hold off till the thing gets off the ground.

By the way, are you getting my emails? do I have the correct address for you?

Mike

Back