Book Club - Online

Mitscherman

Registered
I would like to start or join an online book club. The idea is to read the book on our own and post/discuss topics about same.

For example: I have this book by Felix Luna titled: "Short History of Argentina" and think it could be more interesting to share comments online about same. I would create a forum titled after the book and comments would be titled by chapter. That way, if some folks read the book in a night and others need a week or more, there will be no secrets given away. Anyone interested? Once I get at least five thumbs up, I will create the forum and let you know. And if there is already a book club online, please throw me a bone. Thanks!

Brian,I can create a Book Club forum here at our forums for you and make you a moderator . You can heave a sticky thread on the top for a book that people are currently reading and create normal threads with book title as a subject for discussion. Do you want me to do it?
And the only way to find it whether the idea will work or not is to try it I guess.

Thanks Igor... I will definitely seek your help once I find few interested people. My target is at least 5 members before launching the forum.
Thanks again! - Brian

Brian, the books will be in english (regardless of origin of writer) and would be readily available locally, right?

Good question Grazie... I will read the book in English, however, if it also available in Spanish, cool. And yes, books must be available locally in order for everyone to obtain. If not, we could group order from Amazon, etc... Open to suggestions.

"Mitscherman" said:
For example: I have this book by Felix Luna titled: "Short History of Argentina" and think it could be more interesting to share comments online about same.
The Luna book is a joke; its only redeeming features are its price (about 15 pesos?), and its easy style. You want to get your teeth into Luis Romero's "A History of Argentina in the Twentieth Century," which is available in both English and Spanish. There's another tome -- unfortunately only in Spanish -- titled (roughly) "An Economic History of Argentina from 1950 to 2000."

Thanks for the recommendations. Will look for these next time I am at the bookstore. Cheers!

"Mitscherman" said:
Thanks for the recommendations. Will look for these next time I am at the bookstore. Cheers!
Didn't mean to be critical of your choice, but the Romero book sheds some genuine insight into the forces that have shaped contemporary Argentina. Luis Romero is a genuine historical scholar -- as was his father.
I see another thread started by someone who had the misfortune to have his cell phone snatched before his eyes. Yet this kind of street crime was unknown half a century ago when Argentina was both more egalitarian and more prosperous. The point is that the roots of today's social and economic phenomena lie rooted in economic and political decisions and developments of the last thirty years; Romero does a good job of unearthing them.

Appears nobody is interested in an On-Line Book Club. I thought with such a large expat society in Buenos Aires, many of whom spend lots of time in front of the computer, there would at least be 5 takers. Oh well, in the words of George Thorogood; "I Read Alone!"

"Mitscherman" said:
Appears nobody is interested in an On-Line Book Club.
I thought with such a large expat society in Buenos Aires, many of whom spend lots of time in front of the computer, there would at least be 5 takers.
People don't read much anymore -- if indeed they ever did. Prejudices and ill-informed opinions, however, are to be found in abundance.

Back