Books wanted..

I have two books I'm up for trading or to give away.

The Big Open: On Foot Across Tibet's Chang Tang - Rick Ridgeway
The Postman - Antonio Skármeta

Anyone interested PM me

I've never been there myself, but i have a brochure for a small chain of english bookshops. Kel Bookstore. www.kelediciones.com Anyone been there before? They have a store in caballito, belgrano, and on downtown on 1300 m.t. alvear.

I couldn't find this information posted on the site, so I thought I'd let anyone looking for English books know that there's a small library at ICANA (Maipú 672). I just went there today to ask about the library. In order to become a member you have to pay an 80 peso per year fee (or 45 for 6 months), bring a 4x4 photo so they can make you an identity card, and show them some sort of proof of residency (a bill or a contract). If you don't have proof of residency they told me that you can give them your address and they will send you a card and then you just have to bring the card in. 4 books can be checked out for 2 weeks at a time, and renewed twice. They have a pretty good selection of fiction and non-fiction as well as a lot of ESL teaching materials. They also have audiobooks and videos, but I didn't look at those so I don't know what the selection is like.

Hope this helps someone!

P.S.- ICANA also offers many standardized tests from the U.S. (GMAT, LSAT, GRE, etc.).
P.P.S- The Kel stand at the Feria de Libros had a great variety of English books, so I would hope that their stores would too.

stephent said:
Wally. When I was in BsAs in 2007, I swapped lots of books with other expats and visitors when I could. It occurred to me then that there was a real need for an 'English Book Exchange': someone who was prepared to host a library and perhaps have a tea party once a fortnight at which expats could exchange books, and where visitors could leave their books rather than binning them. This would be a great way of building a circle of friends for the organiser as well as managing a fun library! I don't know how long you are planning to stay, but might be a worthy idea for either you or someone else to trial?

I have a somewhat eclectic collection of (some) hardback and (mostly) paperback books (maybe 100-150 or so, almost all in English) that I keep as a kind of "book exchange" for guests who stay here.
Sunday being a sort of flojo day in BsAs, I would be happy to "host" a Sunday afternoon "book and burger" party out here in Vicente Lopez, if anyone thought that would be fun!
The house is close to Av. Maipu (the next iteration of Santa Fe/Cabildo), and is easy to get to by a number of buses (152, 161, 29, 59, 60, 168, and several others) or the train to Tigre stops about 6 blocks away (est. Rivadavia)

The idea would be to trade books between guests or with my "library", (hopefully on a 3-for-2 basis just to build up the collection, but enforcement out here tends to be lax!)
:)

Anyone interested just let me know...

Saludos,

David

worth considering on a 2 to 2 basis, not a 3 to 2. after all, your books are second hand...........smile

You can also check KEL'S BOOKSTORE on Marcelo T. Alvaer between Talcahuano & Uruguay.

That is an ENGLISH bookstore with a concentration on teaching English books. But they also have novels. Good luck chico.

I went to El Ateneo today they have a fantastic range of books. Voted by The Guardian the second best bookshop in the world. Be prepared to say wow when you enter.
Santa Fe 1860, Santa Fe y Callao

Read all about it in tomorrows blog

Walrus Books is amazing! They buy, sell and trade English books. The shop is adorable. The owners knowledgeable and friendly. You may not always find exactly what you're looking for, but they have a great selection that extends beyond "pocket books", the regular fare of crime/romance novels that are readily available in most BA book stores.
Book Swaps are also great. My friend hosted one in a resto and more than 30 people turned out. She traded 2 for 2 and was left with a ton of books to take home. I hosted one in my home, had a small turn out, but was still left with a dozen or so books for myself.

Back